Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling out JB Weld from exhaust bolt thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree on Timeserts. After using them I will not ever do helicoils again.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

As requested, pictures of the dilemma. First I will recount what I think I did wrong. I believe that in drilling out the old thread and what remained of the old bolt I wasn't perfectly straight and more than likely attempted to thread mostly aluminum and some remaining steel. I meant to say I used a 17/64 bit. So now I am faced with a weird spot. Do i try to continue to tap what I have, I am about 3/4 the way tapped. Or should I drill out larger to 3/8 and attempt to tap that. Hmmmm.

Here is before I started tapping, you can see the old threads, maybe this should have been my indicator to not proceed yet.

Here is where I sit now, the tap is broken flush after I attempted to use pliers to back it out.

Well a learning lesson for sure, unfortunate it had to be so deep. Won't let this keep me from my third week of may deadline!

Comment

At this point I think i would sacrifice a pair of needle nose vice grips and grind them till I could fit them down the flutes. Clamp onto that tap and use an adjustable Crescent wrench on the flat of the vice grips to turn the tap..again blow the chips out with the compressor and squirt lots of oil into the hole. Keep alternating with the air and oil to keep the chip build up to a minimum.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          At this point I think i would sacrifice a pair of needle nose vice grips and grind them till I could fit them down the flutes. Clamp onto that tap and use an adjustable Crescent wrench on the flat of the vice grips to turn the tap..again blow the chips out with the compressor and squirt lots of oil into the hole. Keep alternating with the air and oil to keep the chip build up to a minimum.
          Even needle nosed pliers would work ok - as long as you "tap" them into the flutes they should hold enough to back out the broken tap (fingers crossed).

After that, if you have enough thread, Loctite a stud in there to mount your exhaust and call it done (actually, use studs on ALL the holes).
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by Kodak View Post
            As requested, pictures of the dilemma. First I will recount what I think I did wrong. I believe that in drilling out the old thread and what remained of the old bolt I wasn't perfectly straight and more than likely attempted to thread mostly aluminum and some remaining steel. I meant to say I used a 17/64 bit. So now I am faced with a weird spot. Do i try to continue to tap what I have, I am about 3/4 the way tapped. Or should I drill out larger to 3/8 and attempt to tap that. Hmmmm.

Here is before I started tapping, you can see the old threads, maybe this should have been my indicator to not proceed yet.

Here is where I sit now, the tap is broken flush after I attempted to use pliers to back it out.

Well a learning lesson for sure, unfortunate it had to be so deep. Won't let this keep me from my third week of may deadline!
            Definitely a learning experience.
            If you hit the bottom of the hole that tap will be pretty tight. At this point the tap extractor that gsrick mentioned will be your best bet.
            Apply some heat from a torch to the material around it, not too much and from inside the exhaust port.
            Get the extractor as deep in as you can and carefully try to work it out then in then out a little at a time till it's loose.
            Be careful because the extractor can break too. Vise grips at the hole on the extractor and a tap wrench at the top will give extra grip and stability.
            Get some good cutting fluid in there as well.
            As Chuck said, make sure you can get as many shavings out as you can first.
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I want somebody to try the alum trick suggested elsewhere on GSR... Granted, building a waterproof "dam" there is going to be tricky- a plastic straw or vinyl tubing might do it with silicone... Even if it only dissolves the thinnest ends of the tap threads , it is going to help. Maybe a paste of alum and water packed in .....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                I want somebody to try the alum trick suggested elsewhere on GSR... Granted, building a waterproof "dam" there is going to be tricky- a plastic straw or vinyl tubing might do it with silicone... Even if it only dissolves the thinnest ends of the tap threads , it is going to help. Maybe a paste of alum and water packed in .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM

That's interesting. I saw that post but just blew it off.
                I wonder if it would just take longer on a hardened tap. His condition would be perfect to try that and let us all see if it worked.

+1 on this idea.
                Alan

sigpic
                Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Alright update time!
                  Received my Walton tap extractor. Got it all setup, looks like a nice bit of tool, and unfortunately didn't work for me. End up breaking two of the fingers. Followed the directions but this tap is in there tight and deep. I've tried chiseling it out with a center punch, heating and cooling it, and now tried extracting it. All to no avail. I'm going to try the alum trick, I've seen it on YouTube before. Going to take good pictures of the attempt. Hope to come back with good news. Otherwise I'm not sure what to do next. Call a machine shop for EDM I suppose. Have around one month to get this all done. Haha man this will be a hoot if it all comes together.

Comment

If the alum doesn't work then you might want to just consider picking up a replacement head off eBay or one of the members here. Might end up being faster and cheaper in the end. I have an 850 1982 head and matching valve cover somewhere at the house.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Im with JT. Scrap that head and find a replacement.

Comment

You must have hit the bottom of the hole with the tap. I admire your persistence.
                        These cases command thought and patience.
                        The advice for a different head is good. You'll inevitably p**s off the machinist because he could have
                        had a berry job at first but all of his options are gone now, except for EDM.
                        You need to offset the price for another head with EDM now.
                        Although a machinist with your persistence can probably do it.
                        Alan

sigpic
                        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Taking this forum thread deeper than the one I tried to tap! Appreciate everyone's input. So I've made a strong super saturated solution of hot water and alum. I tried to epoxy a flex funnel around the hole. It's leaking. I'm going to let it rest and seal it up tomorrow morning then see what happens over the next 24 hours. In the meantime if anyone has a spare head for a 1980 gs850 let me know. If it's cheaper than taking it to a unexpecting machinist then that's the route I'll go! I'm grinning inside despite my furrowed brow because I know I'm being challenged and I'm going to finally get this right.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2017, 08:13 PM.

Comment

By the time you take it to a machine shop...pay them..and the down time involved youll be ahead of the game to just get another head and swap it in. Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

Comment

Hey I'll take your two cents! I really want to minimize the down time involved in getting this going. What's a fair price for a head?

Comment

Few of them on Ebay now. I would make a parts wanted section add first. The forum guys will not try and sell you a head with an issue..broke off studs, scarred cam journals etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X