No announcement yet.

Seven loose fillings - what? wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liked it batter with the black faring only without the tank cover.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
      Liked it batter with the black faring only without the tank cover.
      The problem is that the black stuff is gigantic and completely dwarfs the tank without the tank cover. Problem 2 is that with all the black fairings on you have to be a gymnast to ride it.

Comment

Back to university and Linköping, went home over christmas and stripped the bike and got the frame down to Linköping, we have a workshop at campus that i thought i should get some use of.

I didnt like the pegmounts i did earlier so i cut them off and made new ones. Made out of 60x60mm squaretubing with M8 weldnuts(?). Tried to do the notches by hand but switched to our mill. Turned ut much better. I'm really no good at welding but i got the left one okay so i'll show you that. TIG-welded.

Comment

Next on the list was a silencer mount. Found the one made by the previous owner in the car, it had fallen of due to poor weld and vibration. The new one needed to be rubbermounted so i took some 40x40, notched and drilled in the mill and turned some aluminium bushes to save the rubber from being squeezed to death.

Comment

Almost every hole was filled with bodyfiller. Drilled it out, cleaned it up and welded a plate over

Comment

Besides that i've cut some old stuff of, cleaned it up and so on. If someone thinks i'm ruining a completely fine bike. Take a look at the previous owners BEST welding job(the one that hasn't fallen of yet....)
              I am still looking for bigger carbs, 26mm?, but i need some tips on it!!

Comment

JMS, on the carb issue, check out Boris.h's project, he's been having the same issue

You should move your build into the Project forum, where it will be preserved
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Nice work, keep us updated.
                  1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
                  2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Hi Jan! Great project! Your welding looks ok to me! Far better than the PO's attempt! Keep the 'photo's coming!
                    GS750EC, GS1100E, GS1150EG, Harris Magnum 2 (GS1170E motor), GSXR750F, Mk1 GSF1200, and finally Mk1 GSF600.

Comment

Thanks all! It is a slowly ongoing project since i'm studying at university so time and money is limited but i really enjoy working on it. My friends joke about that i will keep this bike forever, sounds good to me.

Comment

Looks to me as if the bike has found it's correct owner and is in good hands. Nice work.

Comment

Got the frame back home at eastern and left it there waiting for summer. Brought my dads CZ 125 engine back with me. He is the only owner and i guess he bought it back in -74, had it for 1-2 years and then some bearing was shot. It has been sitting for the last 42 years(!!!) and i wanted something to do in the evenings instead of just staring in to a computer. Got it all apart and found the error, now i need to press the crank apart, replace the rod, press it together reream(?) the upper bronze bearing and so on. I will only study 50% this fall so i plan on finishing by christmas.

AND FOR THE GS!!!!
                          I finally got some VM26SS, they are a bit dirty but seems to work, if i can make them fit they will get refurbished, soda blastered and so on. The plan is to replace my carbs with these still using my backplate or what it's called. It SHOULD work, i just need to remove about 3mm(diameter) on the engine side so i can mount them in my intakeboots. I will do this in a lathe but first i'll make a inside-support so i don't squeeze the carbs. If all goes as planned the bike will be assembled this summer, do some dynoruns and tune the carbs. I guess i will take it apart this fall again, i might need to redo the exhaust mount, i will make new seat mounts since these were a bit simple and make something to mount the oilcooler.
                          I will get my bachelor-degree in mechanical engineering next year and actually making some money to spend on the bike will be nice. I think it will look good in the blue-white GS1000S scheme

Comment

Are you planning on a cross-brace between the two frame rails at the top of the rear shocks?
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                              Are you planning on a cross-brace between the two frame rails at the top of the rear shocks?
                              Yes. I put a flatbar there for seat mounting. I plan on redoing the seat mounts this fall since they are only temporary and quite ugly and i will take a look at reinforcing some other places. The current seat mount is placed right in between the shockmounts and should do the trick. I might move the original crossbar or do a completely new one. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by JanMedSlangen View Post
                                Yes. I put a flatbar there for seat mounting. I plan on redoing the seat mounts this fall since they are only temporary and quite ugly and i will take a look at reinforcing some other places. The current seat mount is placed right in between the shockmounts and should do the trick. I might move the original crossbar or do a completely new one. Any ideas?
                                Just keep the rear well braced, else that Metmachex swing arm will just be an ornament.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X