Center stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center stand

Hey Guys, Just picked up a 79 GS1000. Pulled off sissy bar, ferring, crashbars, exhaust. Bike did not have a center stand And I bought one on Ebay. What holds the center stand down and away from the chain?? got it installed and spring on but its up to high and hitting the chain.

Take a look at Post #173. This is what came with my V/H 4-1 pipes. The dual pipes kept the center stand from hitting the chain. The part came with my exhaust system and is a makeshift piece of metal that bolts to the rear foot peg.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Great! If you notice in the second pic of my bike, the owner before me CUT the frame to fit the exhaust. ON BOTH SIDES!!! So I Don't have a foot peg mount or muffler mounts. Another Forum member is sending me the frame parts so I can weld it back right! Thanks for your help!!

Comment

Originally posted by workonwood View Post
        Great! If you notice in the second pic of my bike, the owner before me CUT the frame to fit the exhaust. ON BOTH SIDES!!! So I Don't have a foot peg mount or muffler mounts. Another Forum member is sending me the frame parts so I can weld it back right! Thanks for your help!!
        OMG!

That's a perfect example of WHY NOT to cut up the bike!

My apologies, just being outspoken.

Glad you are getting the help needed.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I know!!! Once I got the bike home and started looking at it close... noticed cut frame. What kind of moron cuts the frame??? I was just going to weld the right side back on.....but now both sides! Not a big deal....and I can fab a bracket for the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by workonwood View Post
            I know!!! Once I got the bike home and started looking at it close... noticed cut frame. What kind of moron cuts the frame??? I was just going to weld the right side back on.....but now both sides! Not a big deal....and I can fab a bracket for the stand.
            If I were you, I would reinstall the case guards, one day, you'll be thankful you did. I can't believe they cut that frame like that. Would have weakened that spot.
            Last edited by mrbill5491; 04-05-2017, 02:07 PM.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
              If I were you, I would reinstall the case guards, one day, you'll be thankful you did. I can't believe they cut that frame like that. Would have weakened that spot.
              Those frame parts that were cut-off have no effect on the strength of the frame.

They are frequently removed on track bikes, I have removed them from 2 of my 1000's with no adverse affects.

Parts go in the mail to you tomorrow workonwood!
              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
              X