Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000E front fork issue

OK. First post on here for a while.....

Right. My GS1000ET blew its fork seals and I need to change them out. Sadly the tubes are pitted so its not as easy as shoving 2 self taper's into the seal and ripping out then sliding a new seal in place.

So I pulled the callipers, mudguard and dropped the wheel out. Sadly the PO has been in there with all I can describe as the wrong size tool and has rounded out the bolt. Even a 'torq' bit doesn't fit. I've now managed to source new NOS tubes, seals, bolts, caps, clips, valves, valve covers and tonight new tube covers so I just need the stansion's and guts to rebuild them. I'm guessing that the drain screw will be seized in the stansion too.

I'm guessing that its a drill the Allen bolt out to split them. I was thinking of holding the tubs in the yokes (triple trees) to loosen the top tube cover to get the springs out.

Anybody else had this issue and how did you get around it?

I haven't had to deal with that on forks, but I have used a slightly over sized torx bit to get out rounded out socket head cap screws before. You pound the torx bit into the socket with a hammer and it should bite, then turn it out. If that doesn't work I would suggest drilling the bolt full length to allow the threads to collapse a bit, then turn it out using the pounded in torx bit. In the case of the fork bolt using an impact wrench helps a great deal, too.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Being an allen head, you can drill the head off and the bolt will slide though the fork lower and the forks can be split. Once out, there will be enough of the bolt left hanging out of the damper rod to grab with vise grips and remove.

But I would try "persuasion fitting" a torx as Mark has suggested first up.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I find it easier to remove the top caps by sliding the tubes up in the triple, reclamping and then taking the cap off

As for the Allen bolt at the bottom, you need a holder to prevent that bolt from turning. you need a 17mm nut into the dampener rod. Many people use a piece of allthread and 4 nuts to do this

Then, I'd use a left hand drill bit and drill out the Allen bolt head
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Cheers for the suggestions and advice.

I've managed to source two new tube caps, two new Allen bolts now so I have all the parts to do a full refurb on the forks. I just hope that it will all come apart without too much of an issue.

Comment

Working...
          X