Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wheel swap. Gs650 to GS850

Hey guys,

Quick question, I've used search but couldn't find an answer.
    Does anybody know if I can replace my 17 x 2.50 GS650 Shaft rear wheel with a 16 x2.75 GS850 Shaft rear wheel.

Thanks in advance,
    Pete

Anybody?

Comment

One of the members here has an 850G with a 650GM ('83 Katana, I think) rear wheel on it, but I don't know if it was a direct swap. I haven't seen him on in a while so we can't ask him. So it is possible, but I don't know what will be necessary for axle spacers and brake fitment.

What are you hoping to achieve with the 850GL wheel?
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I am going the other way around, I think it will work.

I have a 17" wheel on my 850, but the tire that I want to try is not available in a 17", so I have gotten a 16" wheel that happens to be from a 650L.

You might have to do some fine-tuning with spacers to get the caliper spacing right, but it should work.

I had to do some fine-tuning to get the rear wheel on my bike, anyway, so I look forward to doing it again. The wheels on my '80 850 are from an '82 1100G, which required some fine-tuning of spacers, but I have had no problems.

Last edited by Steve; 04-08-2017, 09:31 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks fella's. Yes, the reason is the same. The tyres that I want to try are a 16 and there seems to be not much available for a 17". It's purely for looks by the way....zero performance / fuel consumption etc reasons!
          Thanks again, I'll take the hit and get one and post my findings.
          Pete

Comment

Working...
          X