Fix-a-flat for Slow Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fix-a-flat for Slow Leak

I have a slow leak on my GS450 front tire that has <6,000 miles on it and is less than 2 year old. I noticed it was low in December, did a little bit of riding in January/February when the weather permitted but now it's low again around 17/18 psi. I'm tempted to just use the can of fix-a-flat that's been sitting around in my garage to seal up wherever the slow leak is coming from. Any reason not to? I'd rather get a couple thousand more miles out of my tire since the tread is still pretty good.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Maybe a sealer like Ride-on would be better. It's on Wal-Mart web site for $15. I've had fix a flat cause balance problems so would only use as a last resort.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Balance problems as in it's pooling and then drying in one spot or something along those lines?
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
        Balance problems as in it's pooling and then drying in one spot or something along those lines?
        Thats exactly what happened.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Is this a tube tire or tubeless? (as in: what year is the bike...) It's important to know which it is.

I'd rather pump it up ocassionally than put goo in it.
          In fact, I would never put goo in my tires except as a last resort to get a few miles to fix it properly and even then, only if it were a tubeless tire.
          Assuming it is a tubeless tire,

Best, if it has a leak, fix the tire properly. You have to take it off to do that. ...However,if you want to find the leak, on a tubeless tire, to try a "plug" inserted which is lazy, get some soapy water -better yet a proper leak-finder mix that you can likely find at welders or tire shops.

If it's a tube tire, again, you have to take the tire off. and replace the tube. A patch on the tube is a roadside temporary fix.
          Tires are the most important part of a two-wheeled vehicle.
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-06-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Tubeless tire. I'll try the soapy water thing but think that it might be too slow for that to show the leak.
            1977 GS550

Comment

Aah. Yes. But if you get the Proper stuff, you might be impressed. I was. I had a slowwww leak on a car tire . Pumped the tire every week. COULD not find it for two yearseven Put the tire in a tank of water, etc. etc.(the tank of water is suprising difficult, trying to get the tire properly "wetted"-all the little bubbles that stick to tread etc so adding a detergent to water and scrubbing tires might have helped to finally see that bubble that counted!)
              But this stuff found it. It was pretty obvious too, once found.
              Without all the fiddling, just pump it up and keep an eye on it. Maybe get a magnifier too and have a really good look at tread surface. If the leak is on the rim, you will have to reseat the tire but that's easier than taking it off.

Comment

Tubeless tire. I'll try the soapy water thing but think that it might be too slow for that to show the leak.

This is the way to go. First, check to make sure that it's not the valve leaking. I've seen this on many of the slow-leak tires I've owned. If it is, that's an easy fix, just replace the valve. Next check around the rims. If it's leaking where the tire seats on the rim, you have to remove it, clean up the rim with a green scrubby, ensure there aren't any bad nicks in the seating area, and put the tire back on.

If the tire is leaking somewhere else, you have a puncture and it should not be hard to find. Typically, you'll find the nail still in the tire. If it's in the sidewall, you need a new tire. If it's in the tread, then you get to decide whether to replace the tire or fix it with a plug. Opinions are divided on which is best.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

NO on the fix a flat..what you end up with is one hellz of mess when its time for new rubber. Mix up some really strong soap water and spray the treads well as you slowly roll the wheel. Lay the rim down flat and FILL the bead..Hit the valve stems heavily. If the stems leaking try swapping in a new Schrader valve. If its the rim break down the tire and wire wheel the beads. Bead sealer will seal the beads after cleaning. If its the tread then take it in and have it patched from the inside and rebalanced..that or replace it.

Over pressurize the tire to around 40 PSI..no it wont blow off the rim..and that should make the soapy water more effective in showing bubbles.
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-06-2017, 06:53 PM.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Any kind of goo you add to a tire to "fix" a leak will only work if the leak is in the tread area. That is, unless you FILL the tire with goo.

In my tire-changing experience, most of the leaks have been around the bead and a few at the valve, so goo would not help at all.

Then, to add insult to injury, whoever changes your tire next will really cuss you for all the goo. Any chance you change your own?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I change my own but gotta take them in for balancing.
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

SOme products seem to vaporize and fill the void in the tire in an all encompassing mist.
                        I have sealed bead leaks with the stuff.

Tears ago on my lawn tractor I was getting cracks and pressure loss
                        It seemed that it was a problem for everyone as folks were always whining about new tractor tires and the price etc.

I used one can on all four tires and they stayed sealed and pressurized for 24 more years and may still be for all I know.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Lawn mowers dont go 90+MPH either. I wouldnt use anything other than a patch from the inside like they do car tires or replace it.

Comment

Some do
                            ANd hes talking slow leak I didn't seem him mention an actual puncture?

I sealed a two inch woood screew puncture on a bike once
                            it was dark and I went for the quick fix
                            nearly passed out when I was saw it in the morning.
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Identify the leak first, where the leak is determines how you can fix it.

The Three-Bond flat fixer does not leave a mess in the tire, it tolerates freezing over the winter as well.
                              I used a 10 yr old can on the rear of my CBR900RR a couple of years ago, after I plugged it (small stone from running gravel roads) I was in Butfuk Montana, no cell service, 60 miles from anywhere the Three-Bond inflated the big tire to 36 lbs from flat, I rode the bike home, 200 miles. the tire was still 30 + lbs in the spring 6 months later when I replaced it. ( I change my own, and balance them as well) No mess in the tire, I cant say how well the Three-Bond brand seals as I had plugged the tire, but it leaves no mess!
                              Last edited by derwood; 04-07-2017, 12:53 AM.
                              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                              X