Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    Lawn mowers dont go 90+MPH either.
    Most of them don't, but there are exceptions.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click link.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Lawn mowers don't go 90+MPH either. I wouldn't use anything other than a patch from the inside like they do car tires or replace it.
      I certainly respect your opinion and am sure it reflects your experience. As it happens, my experience includes shooting plugs into tubeless tires on both cars and bikes with 100% success. I became a real believer in how well they can work after running a repaired Avon Roadrunner on the back of my RG500 for about three thousand miles back in the day, when I was a broke GI with a family and couldn't afford to replace an almost new tire with nail in it. That repair held up just fine, as have others I did. To the point that as long as the tire is only damaged where a plug repair is feasible and the tire carcass will take a plug I figure the tire is good to go once repaired. I suppose over the years I've run maybe 4 or 5 repaired tires until they've worn out on bikes and cars.

Now, I'm not advising anyone to either use or not use a repaired tire. It's nothing to me if you leave your bike on the side of the road rather than roll it an inch without brand new replacement rubber installed. Nor an I particularly interested in hearing how I'm an idiot for using repaired rubber. Don't care. I'm just reporting my experience with tires repaired by plugs. If it runs counter to your conclusions and you choose to disregard that experience that's perfectly OK with me.

As to the use of sealant: Years ago I had to replace a tire for a friend who had used that fix a flat sealant you squirt in through the valve stem. I don't have an opinion about how well that stuff fixed a flat or sealed a tire since I wasn't there to see it either work or not but i do know one thing. What a mess! I eventually got the rim cleaned up enough to mount the new tire but it was a complete pain in the tush. If you're stuck by the side of the road and have no alternative...OK...you do what you gotta do...but please realize you're going to have quite a cleaning chore waiting for you somewhere down the road.

Comment

Im running a rear tire on my Cooley I plugged last year too. For me its an "OK" fix..but ultimately I would replace a tire that is "slowly" leaking from the tread area for no apparent reason. Not saying this is the OPs situation though.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Looking at the tire - no puncture or nail. I'll need to have another closer look when I'm finishing up the wiring harness this weekend and if I don't see anything I'll get out the soap and water. The fix-a-flat seems like a mess so I'm going to try and avoid it. I might have a look at the 3-bond.
          Honestly I was hoping to find something stuck in there since I'm comfortable with using a plug.
          Also I'll fill it up tomorrow, take the pressure and then take it again every day for the next week to see how fast it's loosing air. If it's loosing 1-2 psi / week I don't think I'll be able to help taking it out for a couple of `beginning of season' rides.
          I did just order a slime compressor so will be able to top off anywhere, too.
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
          X