'79 gs550 extra part to fork seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 gs550 extra part to fork seal?

Hey everyone. Just pulled the first fork seal out of my gs550 and I suppose maybe I hooked up a little lower than I should have? When I pried the seal out two parts came out of the fork. The seal, and a rubber coated washer of sorts. At first I thought it was just the second half of the seal, and it had torn apart when I pulled it, but the height in comparison to my new seal is the same not including the rubber coated washer. I checked the parts diagram on bikebandit, and there is a spacer listed, but it doesn't appear to be a rubber coated part. There is currently something that looks to be a metal spacer pressed in to the shoulder of the fork leg that I assume to be the spacer that is listed on bikebandit. Anyone have any idea what I'm dealing with here? The mystery part that came out took some damage when I pulled it, so I wouldn't want to put it back in, however having it not listed in the diagram will make it quite difficult to replace! I've attached a photo of the removed seal, the rubberized washer, and the new seal for reference.
    Attached Files

Sorry everyone! Just figured this out. It was just a secondary part to the fork seal, and fortnine just happened to send me 11mm high seals instead of 13mm seals.

Comment

Sorry again! I've still got some confusion here. I've cross referenced the appropriate seals for this bike, and have come up with 2 different seal heights... 11mm and 13mm. Most reference the 11mm dimension but I did find an eBay listing with the 13mm height. The seal I pulled out was 13mm. Is it ok to put an 11mm seal in even though the retaining clip wouldn't be snug against it? Anyone run in to this particular situation?

Comment

Working...
      X