Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak horns...

Hi all,

The horns on my '81 GS850G both work, but they sound like they're from an old Vespa; not very commanding. I know they're supposed to be louder. The electrical connections are good. Does anyone know if there is a"fix" for this, or do I just have to buy new horns?

Try playing with the adjustment screw on the horn itself before giving up on it.........
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

That and clean the contacts inside the switch housing. Usually some WD40 and work the switches around will loosen any corrosion. Some compressor air to blow the crud out and your switches will work much better. It may be that the corrosion isnt allowing full voltage flow to the horns...sort of like a dimmer switch for house lights works.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

For every bike I rebuild for myself I grab 2 new horns from Canadian tire. If I remember right they're 120 db , huge improvement.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

As the guys said adjust and clean. In some cases this brings back a non working unit.
          However there is nothing like a new one but does anyone use them anymore?
          I don't. Never startle an unpredictable animal.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Suzuki horns are stamped 120 DB on them already so the Canadian tire ones are just working better....
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              That and clean the contacts inside the switch housing. Usually some WD40 and work the switches around will loosen any corrosion. Some compressor air to blow the crud out and your switches will work much better. It may be that the corrosion isnt allowing full voltage flow to the horns...sort of like a dimmer switch for house lights works.
              Never use WD40 on electrical connections. WD40 is a water repellent, not an electrical cleaner. WD40 can ignite from an arc and does a poor job at cleaning the contacts in general. Use electrical contact cleaner for that and then a contact DE-oxidant to keep the contacts clean.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I have used it as well as many mechanics I know that have been wrenching for well over 30 years so Im not t all concerned about WD40.

Comment

Chuck you're in deep doo-doo. The good news is I think you were right about the contacts being dirty, because they were dirty - so I cleaned them up with a bit of 000 steel wool. The bad news is that I won't know for sure whether that fixed my weak horn problem until I either find the little piece of plastic that fell out of the horn switch assembly, or buy a new one. You didn't tell me that thing was like a 3D jigsaw puzzle that would explode then I unwrapped it!

So now that I've vented, here is a link to some photos I took during the operation, with notes added for clarity. I figure not a lot of us have seen the inside of their left handlebar switch.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    I have used it as well as many mechanics I know that have been wrenching for well over 30 years so Im not t all concerned about WD40.
                    Count me in.

Comment

Nice photos on that. Me horn is giving me headaches, too. Time fer a cleaning.
                      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                        Try playing with the adjustment screw on the horn itself before giving up on it.........
                        What does the adjustment screw do?

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                          Nice photos on that. Me horn is giving me headaches, too. Time fer a cleaning.
                          I have found that reassembly of the switch is a challenge. There are seven tiny springs inside, as well as several other small parts. You have to figure out a way to get it all together without the springs going "SPROING!" all over your driveway, garage floor, etc. If they do, you're stuck. I finally figured out last night where each of the pieces go and how it's supposed to work, but I still haven't figured out how to get it all back together at the same time. I will try to take and post more photos of what I've learned on
                          Flickr once I get it all figured out. If you've never done one of these, why don't you hold off until I've had a chance to do that. I hope to have that done by this weekend.

Scott
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                            What does the adjustment screw do?
                            It adjusts the gap between the contacts. Just screw it a bit in both directions and observe the results........
                            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                            1983 GS 750

Comment

Here's a short video that shows how they work and how to fix them...........

1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                              X