Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using the Motogadget M-unit on their cafe bike or stocker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using the Motogadget M-unit on their cafe bike or stocker?

Almost a week ago I spied an article on the Motogadget M-unit while looking up something for my buddy's Cb750 cafe bike. Interesting looking piece. The price is sort of high but the offerings seem to make up for it...built in alarm, added running lights, single wire turn signals {LED or incandescent}, built in relays {though larger bikes would need another one for large displacement starters}, self monitoring with LED status...addable wireless/key less starting {for more money}....all for $300.00 . I've just sent a PM thru Revivals FB as to whether it can be used with oem LH controls....one can use motogadget push button controls but I'm not interested in that aspect.
    Just curious whether anyone here has tried this unit and what their thoughts were.
    For that kind of money I'm thinking that a full on replacement of new connectors and a good cleaning of the fusebox contacts wouldn't be cheaper, but that built in turn signal timer option {after the brakes are released}, the built in alarm {possible insurance costs reduction} and the 1 wire turn signals with running lights...tail too, is a rather appealing package.

I'm tossing in a link to Revivals site on this for those who don't know what it is.
    https://revivalcycles.com/products/motogadget-m-unit-controller

There are a few more aspects, but I would say that unless you plan on a complete harness redesign, the M-unit will be difficult to fulling incorporate into a stock harness. Just imagine that the M-unit is a big gang of relay mods where all of the relays are mounted wherever you put the M-unit.

Because of this centralization, there are going to be more wires. This is the reason they added the wireless unit. To minimize interconnects you really need smart power distribution at the front of the bike(close to handlebars) and one at the rear(e.g. near battery).

I would recommend anybody start to sketch out what the harness will look like for any application using the M-unit and see if that is the way you want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      ...I would say that unless you plan on a complete harness redesign, the M-unit will be difficult to fulling incorporate into a stock harness.
      If I planned on installing one, I do so with new wiring as well. And, I'd keep connectors down to a dull roar...only where needed, so as to remove any marginal connections down the road. I'd keep the R/R, stator, and brake switch connectors intact, but probably loose all the rest for soldered/heat shrinked connections.
      The PO of my cycle totally removed the oem timed turn signal wiring and oem LH controls. He also hacked into other sections to add power points...my harness is a mess. It works, but it's a mess. I found a later model oem fuse panel that uses push in fuses and not the year correct barrels mine has...it's always been on my mind to redo the harness at some point in time but the lack of all the correct marked wiring to copy the factory harness has kept me from it. This M-unit would still be the same issue of wiring tractability, but if I drew out a new layout and tucked it into the factory manual any possible next owner wouldn't be flying blind.

Comment

I've bought the m unit for my 550 build not used it yet but will report back when I do

Comment

someone i know had it fitted to his bike, M-unit, M-Lock, M-switch, M-Button units a year ago.
          Don't think he used the smart power distribution.

Minimalistic wiring and clean looks, i like the look and the fact *all* old wiring has been
          eliminated including the old handlebar switches and contact lock wiring.
          Cost rises fast using those extras though.

His wiring harness was old and connections bad, headlight did not produce much light, etc.
          Think his new wiring was reduced to 6 wires, so a new wiring layout should be easy to read
          He is very satisfied so far, i am tempted to buy a complete set also.

Some more pics here

DSCN2418-e1464457562704-800x400.jpg

The only thing that is not clear to me is how safe this system is, though Motogadget describes
          the M-Lock as tamper-proof i read the RFID tag on his keyring should be easy to read/duplicate.
          But what are the chances of that, and a good lock on the bike should be used anyway.
          Last edited by Rijko; 05-19-2017, 05:17 PM.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Yozzer74 View Post
            I've bought the m unit for my 550 build not used it yet but will report back when I do
            Please do. If they made a combo package of decent gauge wire {12gauge to me} and that unit it'd be a perfect set up for a revamp.
            I've asked if the unit can work with oem turn signal switches and received no reply, but I feel the answer would be "no" as the suggested fancy push buttons {which have their own merit if you like that} are momentary contact while the oem is solid contact. One could find their own momentary switch set up but weather resistant switches would be best...and harder to source out elsewhere.

Are you going with the "whole" package?...M unit/M switches and the like?

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
              someone i know had it fitted to his bike, M-unit, M-Lock, M-switch, M-Button units a year ago.

Minimalistic wiring and clean looks, i like the look and the fact *all* old wiring has been
              eliminated including the old handlebar switches and contact lock wiring.
              Cost rises fast using those extras though.

His wiring harness was old and connections bad, headlight did not produce much light, etc.
              Think his new wiring was reduced to 6 wires, so a new wiring layout should be easy to read
              He is very satisfied so far, i am tempted to buy a complete set also.

Some more pics here

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51053[/ATTACH]

The only thing that is not clear to me is how safe this system is, though Motogadget describes
              the M-Lock as tamper-proof i read the RFID tag on his keyring should be easy to read/duplicate.
              But what are the chances of that, and a good lock on the bike should be used anyway.
              To simplify the system into units...headlight/tail/turn/coils/starting....and wire one at a time would be easy. I wouldn't do the M lock, but that's me...keyless isn't too bad of an idea in it's own right, but I laughably say to myself that while being in close enough proximity to the bike to arm it means someone could just hop on and go. And as you said, in this day and age of folks copying codes of garage door openers - this keyless set up could be duplicated too. Slim chances, but none the less, a chance...

Comment

he does use it, spoke to him today
                Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

Comment

FYI there's an updated version on the market, the M-Unit V2 MKII.
                  New features, also lower power consumption when the bike is on alarm.
                  Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

Comment

FYI there's an updated version on the market, the M-Unit V2 MKII.
                    New features, also lower power consumption when the bike is on alarm.
                    Saw that last night...the "Moto Blue" with built in RFI...says $350.00 for it.

Comment

II'm thinking about it as well but USD to CAD is a little expensive for me. Maybe in the near future.

Comment

i bought the old version.

Have not decided yet wether to use the M-Button or very thin wires for the signalling,
                        M-Lock, LED 'single wire' lights, or how to wire it.
                        Hooking up the cockpit turn signal lights will probably need some diodes.
                        Just playing around with it off the bike atm, i like it a lot.
                        Last edited by Rijko; 07-30-2017, 02:40 PM.
                        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                        Bikecliff's website
                        The Stator Papers

Comment

I have a V1 M-unit and am going to use it on my project. It is slow going so at this rate I might be able to give my feedback in about 10 years. lol
                          Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                          2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                            If they made a combo package of decent gauge wire {12gauge to me} and that unit it'd be a perfect set up for a revamp.
                            What all do you plan on wiring together to justify needing 12-gauge wire?

12-gauge wire is good for about 20 amps. The only circuit on the bike that comes remotely close is the output of the R/R to the bike and battery.

The headlight is only 5 amps, all the other running/tail lights might add up to another 2 or 3 amps.

The brake light will add 2 1/2 amps, the turn signals about 5 amps.

The coils are about 6 or 7 amps.

Except for the wires that feed the (stock) fuse box, there is no single load that is over 10 amps, which is easily carried by the stock 18-gauge wires.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline_Racing View Post
                              I have a V1 M-unit and am going to use it on my project. It is slow going so at this rate I might be able to give my feedback in about 10 years. lol
                              Any idea where I could get. V1?

Comment

Working...
                              X