Speedo cable leaking oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo cable leaking oil

Hi all. For a while my TACH cable has been leaking oil and it's now starting to annoy me as I use he bike more. Does this happen a lot and is there an easy fix, or should I just replace the cable. If it's replacing the cable, how straightforward is this to do?

i have a '77 GS750 E.
    Thanks for your guidance!
    Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2017, 08:53 AM. Reason: I got the tach and speedo cable mixed up!

Can you explain a bit more about how it's leaking oil? There isn't any oil in the speedometer cable, gauge, or gear although some oil does sit behind the tachometer gear
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Speedo cable...? from the front wheel...?

You had the bike long?

THe cable inside the sheath should be lightly greased, but maybe someone dumped a lot of oil into it.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Tach, not speedo!

Hi Redman and cowboyup3371, seems I got a bit confused, and it's the tach, not speedo (DUH), and it looks like it's leaking from the head.
        I saw this (for an 850, which I assume is similar?) and it looks pretty darn fiddly. Is this the same fix as I need, and anyone done it and can make any recommendations?

Comment

Try this...
          Alan

sigpic
          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by J2Bs View Post
            Hi all. For a while my TACH cable has been leaking oil and it's now starting to annoy me as I use he bike more. Does this happen a lot and is there an easy fix, or should I just replace the cable. If it's replacing the cable, how straightforward is this to do?

i have a '77 GS750 E.
            likely the problem lies here no 27 & 28 require renewing fairly common problem. One retaining screw and prize unit out change seals and reinstall.
            The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
            1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
            past bikes. RF900
            TL1000s
            Hayabusa
            gsx 750f x2
            197cc Francis Barnett
            various British nails

Comment

I've got to do this on my 'G', thanks for the reminder and heads up on the fix ye all.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

i have a '77 GS750 E.
                Just a note from one of my tach sleeve repairs, they can be really stubborn to remove. I successfully pulled one out without problems but on another bike the sleeve broke off in the head. Pull, wiggle and pry CAREFULLY! Don't panic if it breaks though it will come out......eventually!

Another note if your valves are due for an inspection it might be helpful to do these at the same time. I found it beneficial to pull off the right side engine cover and rotate the crank a half a turn to install the tach cable. There may be an easier way but that worked for me.
                Last edited by Burque73; 04-10-2017, 10:54 AM.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thank you all for your helpful recommendations. Looks like I'll get a couple of new seals and very carefully pry it out.
                  cheers!

Comment

I saw this (for an 850, which I assume is similar?) and it looks pretty darn fiddly. Is this the same fix as I need, and anyone done it and can make any recommendations?
                    If you think THAT is "pretty darn fiddly", you may as well sell the bike NOW and get something that is maintenance-free.

Yep, these bikes are averaging 35+ years old, and some of the rubber seals on them are probably still original, meaning that they are pretty worn out by now. Once you have the parts on-hand, that is about a 10-15 minute job, not exactly what I would call "fiddly".

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      If you think THAT is "pretty darn fiddly", you may as well sell the bike NOW and get something that is maintenance-free.

Yep, these bikes are averaging 35+ years old, and some of the rubber seals on them are probably still original, meaning that they are pretty worn out by now. Once you have the parts on-hand, that is about a 10-15 minute job, not exactly what I would call "fiddly".

Hey fella, I'm quite new to my GS and want to learn more about how to maintain it. We don't all have a great set of maintenance experience at hand, and one person's not fiddly in another's learning curve.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Hey fella, I'm quite new to my GS and want to learn more about how to maintain it. We don't all have a great set of maintenance experience at hand, and one person's not fiddly in another's learning curve.
                        "Hey fella" LMAO
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Ok. It was a doddle to swap out; the tach sleeve slid out with some gentle encouragement and I changed the seals (#'s 27 and 28), but alas the exact same leak persists :-(
                          Is there anything else I can check or replace?

Comment

Ok. It was a doddle to swap out; the tach sleeve slid out with some gentle encouragement and I changed the seals (#'s 27 and 28), but alas the exact same leak persists :-(
                            Is there anything else I can check or replace?
                            Did the drive gear have a groove worn into the smooth part of the shaft? That may prevent a good seal.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A
                            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                              Did the drive gear have a groove worn into the smooth part of the shaft? That may prevent a good seal.
                              As Burque73 says, also is your crankcase breather clear maybe excessive pressure is forcing oil through
                              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                              past bikes. RF900
                              TL1000s
                              Hayabusa
                              gsx 750f x2
                              197cc Francis Barnett
                              various British nails

Comment

Working...
                              X