Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMG_6288.jpg
    Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
    Did the drive gear have a groove worn into the smooth part of the shaft? That may prevent a good seal.
    Hi Roger, and others.
    Yes, I think you could say there is somewhat of a groove. Guess I'll replace it and see what happens. I'm checking the breather hose too, to ensure it does breath and isn't blocked.
    Thanks for your guidance all.

Comment

That tachometer drive is shot and needs to be replaced. You should be able to still use the seals you replaced.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by J2Bs View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]50751[/ATTACH]

Hi Roger, and others.
        Yes, I think you could say there is somewhat of a groove. Guess I'll replace it and see what happens. I'm checking the breather hose too, to ensure it does breath and isn't blocked.
        Thanks for your guidance all.
        That is a problem that has come up on this forum a whole bunch of times and also with the two most recent GS's I've owned. It sure is nice to have this GSR group, Basscliff's site and tutorials on repairs like Bwringer (in post #5 here) has prepared. Here's another resource from Mr Bwringer that's chock full of goodies! I should have mentioned all of that in the first place, but better late than never.

Cheers!
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          That is a problem that has come up on this forum a whole bunch of times and also with the two most recent GS's I've owned. It sure is nice to have this GSR group, Basscliff's site and tutorials on repairs like Bwringer (in post #5 here) has prepared. Here's another resource from Mr Bwringer that's chock full of goodies! I should have mentioned all of that in the first place, but better late than never.

Cheers!
          Thanks again Roger. Indeed, I've been savouring Bwringer's site (and following some tips) but Bassiff's is new.
          Over the weekend I attached the breather hose (that was only attached to the crank case) to the air filter and the leak from the tach cable has gone. I assume the attachment to the air filter is helping the breather do what it's supposed to and the pressure no longer needs to escape from the tach driver.
          I replace the tach driver anyway. Is it recommended to replace the sleeve at the same time?

Comment

That's great, no more leak! There was some discussion in another thread within the last week about the breather if you're interested to read it.

Surely you saw the shop service manuals on Cliff's page. I'd see if there's a recommended interval to change out that sleeve listed. Personally, if the seals fit tight and there's no slop while spinning it in my hand I'd just change the drive gear and seals. Plus, the oil leak is gone so there's a good sign it's still ok.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
            X