Fork ID Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork ID Help Needed

Can anyone help me identify the forks in the pics below? Pretty sure the top one is for a 78 GS750 (the bike I have). No idea on the other two.

I had 2 different forks on my bike from the time I bought it. One that I thought was the correct fork, and another that definitely wasn't. I'm currently rebuilding the bike, so I figured it was time to have a matching set. A guy on craigslist said he had a fork for a 78 GS750, so I bought it. When I got it, it didn't look like the one I had, so I thought it was the wrong one again. Looked at the fiche online, and it looks like the one he sold me. It turns out I had 2 wrong forks to begin with, not just 1 like I had though.

So now the only one I know what bike it's from is the one I just bought. It's at the top in the 1st pic, and the right in the rest of the pics. I'm trying to ID the other 2, and confirm that the one on the top/right is stock for my bike. Once I figure out what I have, I'll buy yet another fork. Then I'll polish up and sell the two I don't use.

Attached Files
    sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

You are correct that the top/right fork leg shown in the pics appears to be from a GS750. The only other possibility for that pattern is a GS550, but given that this fork appears to be longer than the other two, I would hazard a guess at GS750 (they differ in overall length).

As for the other two, it appears you have a MATCHED set of forks from a 1982 GS650E. I know, they LOOK different, but they are in fact a matched set.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help with the ID! So would that slight difference in length make an impact on suspension geometry/handling? I never noticed any handling issues, but then maybe I didn't know the difference because I got the bike with those forks and it would handle a lot better with the stock forks...
      sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Looking at the caps at the top of the forks you have one from a GS750 (square top) and 2 from a air suspension fork model. The large nearest one could be a GS1000 but the other I cant help with.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam 78 GS750 View Post
          Thanks for the help with the ID! So would that slight difference in length make an impact on suspension geometry/handling? I never noticed any handling issues, but then maybe I didn't know the difference because I got the bike with those forks and it would handle a lot better with the stock forks...
          Suspension geometry will be changed compared to standard GS750 forks (the GS650e forks are shorter). Will you notice it? Probably not. One of my 750s has GS1000 forks fitted (also shorter than standard gs750 forks) - but I've never noticed any problems with handling. GS bikes have very conservative steering geometry as standard and are very forgiving of front fork mods.

Comment

Originally posted by postman_pat View Post
            Suspension geometry will be changed compared to standard GS750 forks (the GS650e forks are shorter). Will you notice it? Probably not. One of my 750s has GS1000 forks fitted (also shorter than standard gs750 forks) - but I've never noticed any problems with handling. GS bikes have very conservative steering geometry as standard and are very forgiving of front fork mods.
            Good to know your opinion on this...since MrBill recommended it to me.

In the future, I will be installing 82/GS1100EZ Forks on my 82/GS750TZ.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
            X