Tire spoon advice,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire spoon advice,,,

I am buying a set of Shinko 230 tires for my 850G, and will install them myself (my local dealer wanted $45/tire to mount them - IF I remove the tires from the bike). I've seen a video online where the guy used three tire spoons to get the tire on and off - making the point that you insert all three of them, roughly 5" apart, then take the middle one out and place it next to one of the remaining two. That seems like a good idea to me.

There are about 980 sellers on Ebay that all sell the same 3-spoon set, complete with plastic rim protectors, for about $15.00. The spoons all have a red and black handle. That seems like a nice idea IF the metal part goes all way through the handle, but if it doesn't, then they're probably junk. My question is this: does anyone have experience with these red-and-black handled tire spoons from Ebay?

I's have to look at the brand name, but the set I bought were all metal, no plastic, with one of them a little longer for when you need that little extra leverage. That last bit can be a bear sometimes, depending on sidewall stiffness. For what it's worth, we have the red handle ones at work, but I rarely use them since we have a machine.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
      I's have to look at the brand name, but the set I bought were all metal, no plastic, with one of them a little longer for when you need that little extra leverage. That last bit can be a bear sometimes, depending on sidewall stiffness. For what it's worth, we have the red handle ones at work, but I rarely use them since we have a machine.
      Thanks for that input. So the set that you bought, was it a set of three, or two? (three seems to be key here, as it makes it easier to remove one) And what brand was it? And where did you buy it?

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
        Thanks for that input. So the set that you bought, was it a set of three, or two? (three seems to be key here, as it makes it easier to remove one) And what brand was it? And where did you buy it?
        I got my set at Cycle Gear. Stockton https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...on-3-piece-set .
        stockton_tire_iron3_piece_set_750x750.jpg
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Two won't do. Get 3 plus another longer.
          The hard part is breaking the bead. Get a decent bead breaker and you'll never go back to a dealership. Just a place to dump your old tires.
          You can even do car tires if you like.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

What I use should probably be called "irons" rather than "spoons", but they are all metal, no plastic.

I have three, but seldom use more than two. Seems that I am one of those rare freaks of nature that was blessed with only two hands at birth.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

TO break the bead use an 8 foot 2X4 and another 6-12" one. Stick one end of the long one under your car or truck, put the short one between the tire (laying on the ground near the car) and the long 2X4. Push down. Like a long lever, pops the bead right off. When mounting or dismounting the tire make sure both beads are in the center channel at the opposite side you are working on, use a c-clamp if you need to. You most likely WILL ding up the wheel pretty badly, paint covers all ills. OR pay the $40, it's worth it....
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

once you cut the old ones off...and I do mean cut... clean the rims good. Putting the new tires on, BikeCliff site has a strap method, you can also use zip ties, either way, soapy water to lube the process. If you are going to strong arm them on with the spoons, make sure you protect the rim with some plastic. The shampoo bottle/body wash bottle type works really well. Self balancing is simple as pie, harbor freight and autoparts stores sell the weights... just make sure you clean the rim really good before final stick on. If tubeless don't forget the bead seal.

After I deflated the tires, I used a rubber mallet to beat the bead off... then again.. I have a 450 and the tire is small.. PO used waaaaaayyy too much bead seal, took an hour to clean it off the rims, and I have tubed rims.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2017, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                  TO break the bead use an 8 foot 2X4 and another 6-12" one. Stick one end of the long one under your car or truck, put the short one between the tire (laying on the ground near the car) and the long 2X4. Push down. Like a long lever, pops the bead right off. When mounting or dismounting the tire make sure both beads are in the center channel at the opposite side you are working on, use a c-clamp if you need to. You most likely WILL ding up the wheel pretty badly, paint covers all ills. OR pay the $40, it's worth it....
                  Yeah, I've pretty much decided that paying the dealer to install them is the way to go, considering this is likely the only time I'll have to install new tires. But thanks for the tips - I really appreciate it!

Comment

Well guys I caved today. My new Shinkos arrived yesterday and I took the front wheel to a shop in Ypsilanti, MI that specializes in older bikes. They have a proper motorcycle tire changing machine, and it was the right tool for this job. The guy let me watch, and I'm really glad I didn't decide to do the job myself. When I got home, I still had time before the sun went down to do a little cleaning on the front end, and I'm a much happier camper since I didn't have to struggle and swear at the old tire.

And speaking of Shinkos, I bought them on the advice of a few people here, and the tire required NO weights to balance. That probably speaks pretty highly of Shinko.

So thanks again for all your advice and input.

Comment

Get rim protectors too. That or a length of garden hose split and placed around the bead works also.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X