Grippy seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grippy seat?

I'm just wondering what you guys think of grippy seat cover material (DTX or Duratex). I just ordered a seat for my new bike from Sargent. They have a material they use on their 'Plus' model seats which is slightly grippier than the Carbon FX (which is SLIPPERY). They said they use it mostly on ADV bikes, but have used it on a few custom seats like mine.

I had a seat from Saddlemen which had grippy side panels. I actually ended up liking it as it helped me grip when hanging off the bike. That was like a tacky rubber and was only on the sides. This material should be a bit LESS grippy, but will be almost the whole seat. They also have a much grippier material they use for side panels, but I'd rather not have the extra seams and didn't want to go overboard.

I heard it doesn't keep you from intentionally moving around on the seat, but I'm sure it makes you take weight off your bum to move around. My thought is there isn't a whole lot of weight on my bum when I'm canyon carving anyway...

I had the Carbon FX on my last bike, and coming from the Saddlemen it felt really slippery. I'm sure I was getting used to it, but there seemed to be some confidence from the grip of the Saddlemen.

FWIW, I ride in Kevlar jeans and have been considering leather pants.

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
    I'm just wondering what you guys think of grippy seat cover material (DTX or Duratex). I just ordered a seat for my new bike from Sargent. They have a material they use on their 'Plus' model seats which is slightly grippier than the Carbon FX (which is SLIPPERY). They said they use it mostly on ADV bikes, but have used it on a few custom seats like mine.

I had a seat from Saddlemen which had grippy side panels. I actually ended up liking it as it helped me grip when hanging off the bike. That was like a tacky rubber and was only on the sides. This material should be a bit LESS grippy, but will be almost the whole seat. They also have a much grippier material they use for side panels, but I'd rather not have the extra seams and didn't want to go overboard.

I heard it doesn't keep you from intentionally moving around on the seat, but I'm sure it makes you take weight off your bum to move around. My thought is there isn't a whole lot of weight on my bum when I'm canyon carving anyway...

I had the Carbon FX on my last bike, and coming from the Saddlemen it felt really slippery. I'm sure I was getting used to it, but there seemed to be some confidence from the grip of the Saddlemen.

FWIW, I ride in Kevlar jeans and have been considering leather pants.
    You should look into the Dainese airbag suit
    The Dainese Misano 2 D-Air Perforated Race Suit is an evolution of the original. The latest version updates key features to further refine its protect…
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

As for pants, get some with knee armor.
      After watching half a dozen guys limping around the parking lot at the BCR, I decided to make it a priority for myself.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I liked Sargent's Griptex material on the two seats I had them do for me.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Grippy seats are fantastic. Dont know how I lived before I got new bike.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Any of you guys ever try the early '90s ski-doo snowmobile seat material...very grippy..

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              As for pants, get some with knee armor.
              After watching half a dozen guys limping around the parking lot at the BCR, I decided to make it a priority for myself.
              Seconded. But I don't use the armor that comes in most overpants. It doesn't stay put. My $40 motocross knee and shin armor has been through two crashes, without even soreness in the protected area.

To be fair to the guys at BCR, no armor was going to prevent Brian's femur fractures.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
              X