1980 GS1000G project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G project

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum. I thought I'd introduce myself by posting about my latest project. Kinda still figuring out the whole pic posting 'thing'. Anyway... I was looking for a bike to do a mild Cafe build on and found this immaculate GS, that the previous owner had rescued two years ago. He had already done all the stuff I really didn't want to deal with: rebuilt carbs, new tires, brakes, electrical, rotted rubber bits etc... and since his son owns a body shop, he did a nice paint job that would have cost more than I'd want to pay. Great starting point IMO. Gotta admit, I didn't have the heart to tell him what I intended to do to it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2017, 11:08 PM.

First order of business: removing the rack and windscreen. Then I decided to cut 7 1/2" off the seat rails, cut the seat and move everything forward.

I cut the seat pan right in front of the rear hinge so I could still utilize the hinges. The seat cover has a couple of tears, so I will reshape the foam (much lower 'cafe style') when I have it recovered, eventually.

New clubman bar and bar-end mirrors arrive on Thursday.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Here's a better pic of the frame slicing/seat cutting:
      Attached Files

Comment

I wish my seat hadn't had been trash when i did mine, would have saved me a ton of headaches. Looks good man, very similar to what im doing! I hope you got the wide clubmans. I had the regular ones on my bike and road it once and took them off, you cant mount them at they correct angle because they hit the stanchions. Ended up going with a more modern-ish front end with top mounted clip ons
        I build Pipers

Comment

If you use photobucket to host your photos can be added here in high resolution
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
            I wish my seat hadn't had been trash when i did mine, would have saved me a ton of headaches. Looks good man, very similar to what im doing! I hope you got the wide clubmans. I had the regular ones on my bike and road it once and took them off, you cant mount them at they correct angle because they hit the stanchions. Ended up going with a more modern-ish front end with top mounted clip ons
            Yours is red, right? I've been following your build too. Actually, you inspired my seat idea. I wasn't ready to give up the hinged seat though, so I had to leave it a little longer. I may end up grafting the rear part of the pan back on so it can be re-upholstered easily.

The bars come in tomorrow so I'll see how they fit. Might be able to use a narrow one with some riser extensions(?) They were only $35 but still a waste if I can't use them. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Comment

Someone was looking for a luggage rack last week. Take a look in the "Parts Wanted" section to see if they found one.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ohh i have all the luggage stuff too
                I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by Xfarmer View Post
                  Yours is red, right? I've been following your build too. Actually, you inspired my seat idea. I wasn't ready to give up the hinged seat though, so I had to leave it a little longer. I may end up grafting the rear part of the pan back on so it can be re-upholstered easily.

The bars come in tomorrow so I'll see how they fit. Might be able to use a narrow one with some riser extensions(?) They were only $35 but still a waste if I can't use them. I'll keep ya'll posted.
                  Yeah man, my seat pan was so rusted it ate into my hinges and destroyed them too. Luckily the frame was fine..
                  I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Someone was looking for a luggage rack last week. Take a look in the "Parts Wanted" section to see if they found one.

I'd certainly be willing to part with the National Cycle windscreen too. It's brand new. Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look over there.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                      Yeah man, my seat pan was so rusted it ate into my hinges and destroyed them too. Luckily the frame was fine..
                      I'm blessed to live in a place where the humidity is typically in the single digits. Haha.

The bars fit fine, but they're really low. I may look for a drag bar if my arms and back start complaining. I really need to find a 4 into 1 pipe. Two baffles punched and it still sounds like a sewing machine. Waiting for paint to dry, so I'll post pics tomorrow.

Comment

I would be interested in the windscreen, if you still have it. PM me.
                        1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
                        1984 GS1100GK
                        1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
                        1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
                        1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

New bars and mirrors installed:
                          Attached Files

Comment

That is an interesting mounting location on the rear signals, have never seen that before.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              That is an interesting mounting location on the rear signals, have never seen that before.

Previous owner got creative.... thanks for enlarging my pic. I need to re familiarize myself with photobucket.

Comment

Working...
                              X