No announcement yet.

1980 GS1000G project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks realy good man but the bars are mounted in the wrong angle. Man you are gonna make me step my game up with the seat smh haha. Anyways with bars that low you'll need to fit some rearsets and probably gonna have to be pretty aggressive ones too..
    I build Pipers

Comment

Dang it man haha IT LOOKS SO GOOD UHHGGG
      I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
        That looks realy good man but the bars are mounted in the wrong angle. Man you are gonna make me step my game up with the seat smh haha. Anyways with bars that low you'll need to fit some rearsets and probably gonna have to be pretty aggressive ones too..
        Yeah... I'm pretty tall with gorilla arms, but it's a stretch. May change to a drag bar. I chose this angle to keep from smashing my fingers into the tank at full crank. They're about an inch away when I hit the stops. Once I lower the padding in the seat it will help though.

... a work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Xfarmer View Post
          Yeah... I'm pretty tall with gorilla arms, but it's a stretch. May change to a drag bar. I chose this angle to keep from smashing my fingers into the tank at full crank. They're about an inch away when I hit the stops. Once I lower the padding in the seat it will help though.

... a work in progress
          I whipped up the plate bracket in about a half an hour... a friend wanted to meet me at The Brass Tap and I wanted to be all 'legal' ya know. ��

Comment

Dang it man haha IT LOOKS SO GOOD UHHGGG
            Thanks for the encouragement. This is a different kind of build for me. Mostly cruisers in my past. A 1400 Intruder, and the other bike in my garage is a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1700. This bike was destiny, I graduated from high school in1980, and the bike I bought when my wife and I were dating was blue.

... had to buy it.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Thinking about 14" shocks. Any experience with the cheap Chinese RFY's?

Comment

I have the 13.5 on mine. They measure 13.5 adjusted all the way short haha. Theres a tab on the frame that keeps you from lifting the back all the way and youll need to remove it for that shock so you can get proper length. I lifted mine in the rear about 3/4 inch to adjust tge rake and trail. Came out nicely. I like the rfy shocks. Youll need to set the nitrogen psi to 70. They ride fine and you can rebuild them to actually perform pretty good. Ill pm you pics of my set up later
                I build Pipers

Comment

I have the 13.5 on mine. They measure 13.5 adjusted all the way short haha. Theres a tab on the frame that keeps you from lifting the back all the way and youll need to remove it for that shock so you can get proper length. I lifted mine in the rear about 3/4 inch to adjust tge rake and trail. Came out nicely. I like the rfy shocks. Youll need to set the nitrogen psi to 70. They ride fine and you can rebuild them to actually perform pretty good. Ill pm you pics of my set up later
                  Excellent. I've seen some 360mm RFY's on eBay and they look pretty cool for this application. i definitely want to raise the back end for the same reasons you mentioned. Having a remote reservoir shock just looks bada$$ IMO. And for $90 delivered, seems like a good gamble. Any possible issues with driveline angles etc... that you see from grinding off the tab? If I do this, I'm definitely gonna have to cut down my seat or I won't be able to touch the ground with my feet. Haha
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2017, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Ive had none. And trust me i beat the heck outa this bike. Its gotten air a couple times and no problems
                    I build Pipers

Comment

Thought it was time to update my project: I rebuilt the seatpan by welding a plate on the back with a 3/4" lip around the edge. It's heading to the upholsterer on Monday.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'm definitely gonna need some rear sets, but I'm going to wait until I install a 4 into 1 pipe so I can be sure of the mounting location.

Question, (and don't hate me for this): I'm old enough to know how 'slash cut pipes' got their name, anybody cut their stock pipes down so they're right in front of the rear axle, eliminating at least one of the baffles? Was it worth the effort? Or, is someone interested in buying these stock pipes from me before I butcher them? Hehehe.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2017, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Do you still have the stock pipes for sale. If yes, what condition and how much. Thanks.

Comment

If you look in the end of your pipes youll notice a baffle welded in, use a hole saw to cut around the weld and use pliers to wiggle it out. Notice a nice deeper tone, but not much more power to be had
                            https://youtu.be/tdPwXGbUmGI heres mine, and truth be told this is how i would have kept it if the primarys wernt rusted to crap
                            I build Pipers

Comment

Probably should have stepped up to a 118 main for them would have made a little more power then
                              I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by Xfarmer View Post
                                Question, (and don't hate me for this): I'm old enough to know how 'slash cut pipes' got their name, anybody cut their stock pipes down so they're right in front of the rear axle, eliminating at least one of the baffles? Was it worth the effort? Or, is someone interested in buying these stock pipes from me before I butcher them? Hehehe.
                                don't think it is worth the effort.
                                Lot of work, no power gain, welds are hard to get very nice.

The original pipes are a very sought after item, if they are any good
                                they'll bring enough money to buy a brand new 4-in-1 SS set ...
                                If they are very nice you'll even attract overseas buyers, people
                                pay top dollar for a good set.
                                I paid 700 euros for a very nice set for my GS1000.
                                Last edited by Rijko; 05-04-2017, 04:57 AM.
                                Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                                Bikecliff's website
                                The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
                                X