Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement coils/leads for 1982 GS650e??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement coils/leads for 1982 GS650e??

Hi guys,

I've got an event on in a week (Dust Hustle) and of course my GS has decided to kill a coil. I've searched all around my local area (Gold Coast, Australia) and called interstate stores and had no luck.

Is there a generic 'ebay' coil I could buy for my 82 GS650? I had a quick search and couldn't find anything listed under GS650 coil

Alternatively, if there are any Australian based users that want to sell me a coil please let me know!! I'm desperate to get this thing running 100% before next weekend.

IMG_3131.jpg

Here's a photo of the coil for reference
    IMG_1791b.jpg

Comment

Same coil came on lots of suzukis- identical to what I got on my 650 shafty. Note the mounting style/distance and the male connections on primary side.
      These measured 4 ohm primary resistance and 12000 secondary resistance (plug wire to plug wire with plug caps removed).
      Ignition coils are really durable... what's wrong with yours?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi tom,

Apologies for the late reply. I appreciate your help!

I ended up sourcing a generic coil that worked well as a replacement. It wasn't a 100% perfect fit, however it was easily modified to fit the existing mount.

The problem I was having was that once the bike would get hot, it would drop a cylinder at low rev's (eg: pulling up at a set of lights it would struggle to sit on idle - you'd have to open the throttle slightly to keep it running). As soon as the revs got over a certain point, all the power would kick back in.

The new coil has seemed to help the situation, however the problem is still noticeable. The previous owner has done some a weird rebuild of the carbs (cylinder 1 has a different mixture screw than the rest) so i think that may be main issue.

Comment

The odd mixture screw could be causing the dropoff, but low system electrical voltage could also be giving your ignitor box fits, so it's best to rule it out by checking. Do this Quick Test...make sure you start with fully charged battery and report all 6 results.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X