Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cycle gear couldn't 'bead my tire' - WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycle gear couldn't 'bead my tire' - WTF?

The imbeciles had my wheel for 2 weeks. I went in today to see what was going on, and my wheel is sitting on the tire mounting tool with a ratchet strap around it. The guy said nobody could bead the tire. It's a Shinko 712, 110x90x19, and the wheel says 19in 'tubeless OK' or something like that. What is different about this wheel or tire? They have the rotation direction correct, so it's not that...

Now I've got a wheel with an unbeaded tire around it - I hope they didn't eff up the bead or something.

I've already decided to stop shopping there FWIW.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2017, 10:38 PM.

Have seen it before on car tires.
    Need something that will fill with air super fast.
    Usually happens because tire is either cheap with flimsy sidewalls, or at bottom of stack.
    Would take it to a car tire shop and use there side bead tank.
    Not sure of proper name.
    Would keep a eye on tire after filled and make sure bead is set correct.

Comment

It happens, but I wouldn't think it would for what you're describing. After two weeks you figure maybe they have inexperienced techs, but would have gotten someone with more experience. I've had this problem mounting Shinko tires on H-D rims. Harley tires have stiff side walls and for some reason even with a ratchet strap(this is an acceptable procedure) I've had two tires in the last 2 1/2 years that I just couldn't get them to bead. I also had some over sized mudders on atv rims we had to send across the street to the auto tire shop. They can force air in quicker with nozzles that are lined up with the clamps. I bought a tire machine that has that feature, but I couldn't get the mudders to bead up. That may just have been from the small air tank or inexperience with the machine on my part. One of my instructors at MMI had a air cannon that would bead stubborn atv tires, but I'm not sure about using that on a M/C tire.
      maxresdefault.jpg
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

This:
        Sometimes you get a tire that is just wont seat no matter what you do, well this is how you get the beads to seat! Spray some starting fluid around it, light...

Really. Off road guys do it all the time with their 44s
        sigpic
        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
        1983 GS1100e
        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
        1980 GS1260
        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

HA!!!! I thought this was a Mexican method?

Really looks effective to me!!! (Wear safety glasses!)
          BTW I have the same bike, wheels and Shinko tires Joe, and have forgotten how many I've put on myself. I usually just carefully position the tire to cover where I hear air blowing around the bead.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

LOL, good video.

BestRest has a ratchet strap setup that uses a sleeve so that the strap can move freely around the tire. It was designed for changing tires in the middle of nowhere without a big compressor.

Did it look like CycleGear tried a lot of tire lube?
            We mounted an Avon tire last night that didn’t want to seat at one spot — two sprays of tire lube + air & the problem was solved.

Comment

I didn't see any signs of tire lube. The tire wasn't at all sitting right in the wheel. I got it home and bounced it a few times like a basketball and the tire just fell into place. I bet all it needs is some air and a light squeeze at one spot.

Comment

I find that sunshine and ashphalt are a boon to seating.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                  It happens, but I wouldn't think it would for what you're describing. After two weeks you figure maybe they have inexperienced techs, but would have gotten someone with more experience. I've had this problem mounting Shinko tires on H-D rims. Harley tires have stiff side walls and for some reason even with a ratchet strap(this is an acceptable procedure) I've had two tires in the last 2 1/2 years that I just couldn't get them to bead. I also had some over sized mudders on atv rims we had to send across the street to the auto tire shop. They can force air in quicker with nozzles that are lined up with the clamps. I bought a tire machine that has that feature, but I couldn't get the mudders to bead up. That may just have been from the small air tank or inexperience with the machine on my part. One of my instructors at MMI had a air cannon that would bead stubborn atv tires, but I'm not sure about using that on a M/C tire.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]50483[/ATTACH]
                  What's the max allowable pressure to seat a tire Rick? I've gone as high as 65 psi but above that it's nervous time.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                    Yep - heat the tire up and it becomes more pliable.
                    CycleGear ? They do tires too?
                    I take my tires to a local dealer and they mount them for me - balanced and ready to go for $30.

Currently in the Stable :
                    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
                      I didn't see any signs of tire lube. The tire wasn't at all sitting right in the wheel. I got it home and bounced it a few times like a basketball and the tire just fell into place. I bet all it needs is some air and a light squeeze at one spot.
                      If that doesn't do it, pull the core from the valve stem and try again. It lets the air in much faster and helps puff the tire out quickly to get the beads seated.

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                      +1. Warm, soft tires are much easier to get on the rim in the first place as well.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                        Yep - heat the tire up and it becomes more pliable.
                        CycleGear ? They do tires too?
                        I take my tires to a local dealer and they mount them for me - balanced and ready to go for $30.

Yes - I was at Cycle Gear and they have a half wall full of tires. They said they could order me a Shinko for $50, and install it for $25 if I buy the tire from them. That's a lot less than other shops charge, especially if you don't buy the tire from them.

At least the 'hard part' is done - hopefully it just needs air and a balancing to get it back on the bike.

Comment

Tire shop got it with a bead blaster. It didn't go "the easy way".

Comment

I HS I worked in a gas station and college as a night watch man and parttime tractor tire repair guy. Can't imagine not getting a front m/c tire seated.

Bounce it it and strap pull core as mentioned.

Comment

That's what the 'real' tire guy did - at first he tried with the strap, lube, and his regular tire changing machine. It wouldn't go, so he switched to bouncing and higher volume air. I don't think he could imagine not getting it either, but Cycle Gear...on the other hand...

Comment

Working...
                              X