GS850G Brake Calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Brake Calipers

I have almost finished my 1980 GS850 rebuild.
    When I rebuilt the front calipers I did know they were a bit (quite a bit) corroded behind and around the piston seal area.
    Well, they did not take up with new seals so more work and money needed.
    It is doubtful if any sleeving can be done to rectify but if anyone knows of such a process on such calipers I am eager to hear.
    Failing that I am now looking for 2 good front calipers.
    I don't mind if they need seals and paint I just want without internal corrosion.

Just blast the corrosion out of there.

The only parts that need nice, smooth finishes are the inside of the groove where the seal lives and the sides of the pistons.
    Everything else can be as rough, pitted and corroded as you want, as long as there are no loose flakes floating around.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Just blast the corrosion out of there.

The only parts that need nice, smooth finishes are the inside of the groove where the seal lives and the sides of the pistons.
      Everything else can be as rough, pitted and corroded as you want, as long as there are no loose flakes floating around.

Steve: It is the inside of the groove where seal sits that is badly corroded so I really do need replacement caliper bodies.
      I checked some part numbers and GS1000G are the same as GS850G so if anyone has a pair of good caliper bodies I am keen to take them.
      The pistons that I have are good.

Comment

Originally posted by uteman View Post
        Steve: It is the inside of the groove where seal sits that is badly corroded so I really do need replacement caliper bodies.
        I checked some part numbers and GS1000G are the same as GS850G so if anyone has a pair of good caliper bodies I am keen to take them.
        The pistons that I have are good.
        I have found good used calipers so all good

Comment

Working...
        X