GS750 Levers without mirror fixings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Levers without mirror fixings

I have a Tony Foale framed GS750 (1979). It has anti-dive front forks that look like they came from a later slabsider (35mm ish stanchions), with clip-on handlebars.

The bike has no mirrors or indicators so I want to fit something like Motogadget or Oberon bar end mirrors and indicators.

But the existing levers have empty fixing holes where the standard mirrors used to go and they look nasty.

Does anyone know of some high quality replacement levers (with brake master cylinder and cable clutch) that dont have the fixing holes?

There are lots of options. Your master cylinder needs to fit on 7/8" bars, have the same bore as the existing M/C and have the reservoir situated so it sits approximately level when attached to the clip on. Fleabay is full of used GSXR M/C's that fit these requirements and don't cost much. The clutch perch is even easier, it just needs to fit 7/8" bars and suit the cable you have. Again, fleabay can supply this from numerous motorcycles.

Some pics of your bike would be very welcome, you don't often see a Foale framed bike out in the wild.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

[QUOTE=mmattockx;2388488]There are lots of options. Your master cylinder needs to fit on 7/8" bars, have the same bore as the existing M/C and have the reservoir situated so it sits approximately level when attached to the clip on. Fleabay is full of used GSXR M/C's that fit these requirements and don't cost much. The clutch perch is even easier, it just needs to fit 7/8" bars and suit the cable you have. Again, fleabay can supply this from numerous motorcycles.

Some pics of your bike would be very welcome, you don't often see a Foale framed bike out in the wild.

Thanks Mark,

Are all bars from that era 7/8"? The bike has standard switchgear so the current clip-ons must be the same diameter as the original bars, 7/8". I'll look for replacement clip-ons in that size then (some kind of billet ones but not sure which yet).

Are there any good makers of replacement switchgear? If not, I'll stick with stock.

Looking round at the lever options, Accossato do some nice ones: cable cluch side and hydraulic brake side, I'll look into them. How do I find out what bore master cylinder I have currently, is it stamped on somewhere?

I need to replace the ignition switch too as it's a bit loose. Presumably, I should just get a nos original part?

It is running the original headlight just now. Any ideas on a great replacement? I've seen a Cibie dip/main Oscar online that looks like it might do but not sure about the fixings.

I'll try to post some pics of the bike but don't know how to just now. I always liked Tony Foale's frames since seeing Denis Prosser racing a Kawasaki one back in the day. I always wanted a GS750 too, so when I got the chance of this one, it ticked both boxes and I had to have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob77 View Post
        Are all bars from that era 7/8"? The bike has standard switchgear so the current clip-ons must be the same diameter as the original bars, 7/8". I'll look for replacement clip-ons in that size then (some kind of billet ones but not sure which yet).
        Yes, all bars should be 7/8". The only exceptions are some HD and other cruiser bars that are 1", which allows them to hide the control cables inside the bars.

Are there any good makers of replacement switchgear? If not, I'll stick with stock.
        I can't say on the quality side of things, but fleabay has piles of aftermarket choices from China. Lots of them look as good as the OEM stuff we have from the early 80's.

How do I find out what bore master cylinder I have currently, is it stamped on somewhere?
        It is often cast into the body of the master cylinder. If it is the stock M/C you can also look in the Suzuki service manual and see what they say it is. You can download service manuals (and lots of other great info) here:

I need to replace the ignition switch too as it's a bit loose. Presumably, I should just get a nos original part?
        There is no magic to an ignition switch, but OEM is probably the best bet for consistent quality.

It is running the original headlight just now. Any ideas on a great replacement? I've seen a Cibie dip/main Oscar online that looks like it might do but not sure about the fixings.
        There are 7" LED headlights used on semi-trailer units that are the cat's a$$, but they aren't cheap. Have a look:

I'll try to post some pics of the bike but don't know how to just now.
        You need to host the pictures on a hosting site like photobucket, imgur, etc. Then you link to the host site to show the image here.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
        X