Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a '93 gsx1100g motor fit in an '80 850g frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a '93 gsx1100g motor fit in an '80 850g frame?

My question is can a 93 gsx1100g motor fit into an '80 gs850g frame? I have an opportunity to acquire said motor and rear drive ...just wondering?
    I've seen a few swaps here but they've only gone to the mid '80s motors...this would be even newer.

My current 850g motor runs fine...the questioned gsx1100g motor is a decent price and there's always the old adage...there's no replacement for displacement...

All I can say is ... please take lots of pictures to share with us.

I have no information on the (exterior) size difference of the GSX motor, but at least the 850 frame is the same full-size frame that is shared by the 1000G and 1100G.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't remember any such project published here. You would probably be the 1st.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Frickn do it, ive thought about trying it.. but the old 8v is the entire reason i got into the gs in the first place
        I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          I don't remember any such project published here. You would probably be the 1st.
          I searched before I posted....sort of figured that newer engine was out of the forums time frame...but I thought I'd toss it out anyway.
          The car crowd I hang out with is all about swapping out motors for bigger/better/newer...I come by it honestly...

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
            Frickn do it, ive thought about trying it.. but the old 8v is the entire reason i got into the gs in the first place
            The thought is there, for sure. Haven't seen it yet...just heard about it. Heard the bike has other issues that the current owner doesn't want to address...{bad starter - marginal paint}.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              All I can say is ... please take lots of pictures to share with us.

I have no information on the (exterior) size difference of the GSX motor, but at least the 850 frame is the same full-size frame that is shared by the 1000G and 1100G.

True on the frames - but the '90s frames go mono shock rear so the layout might be somewhat different...might not. A whole cycle sitting in front of me would aid in measurements to compare to...hoping to hear back from my friend this weekend about this other guy who has the '93.

Comment

Working...
              X