No announcement yet.

My newest addition to the family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of the riding position Julius ? I've only ever ridden one { not sure of the year but it's in the picture below }. The thing I remember is it was very comfortable but very upright { I'm six foot two inches }

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

To me it's not as upright as your impression. Might have something to do with my height only being 5' 6". Mine actually came with a 3" handlebar riser and I still would like to have another 1/2" to 3/4" rise. Most would love the riding position. A little sporty but not leaned over crotch rockety. Probably the best compromise position.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
        What do you think of the riding position Julius ? I've only ever ridden one { not sure of the year but it's in the picture below }. The thing I remember is it was very comfortable but very upright { I'm six foot two inches }

Garth,

Is that you in the pic? You didn't say but I was leaning towards maybe...

Nice bike, btw. I'm also 5' 7" and shrinking so I'm not one for high seated bikes. Good observations in the analysis too.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
          Garth,

Is that you in the pic? You didn't say but I was leaning towards maybe...

Nice bike, btw. I'm also 5' 7" and shrinking so I'm not one for high seated bikes. Good observations in the analysis too.

Ed
          No. That's the owner of the bike. He was a member here but hasn't been active in a few years now { NormK }
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

From what I've seen in the picture, it looks like the seat has been lowered and the handlebars are raised and offset. Pretty much what I'm looking to do as well.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              From what I've seen in the picture, it looks like the seat has been lowered and the handlebars are raised and offset. Pretty much what I'm looking to do as well.
              That could well be. I'm lousy at guessing heights but I'm taller than Norm is. I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable whatever way he had it set up. Just different than what I was used to.........
              1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                That could well be. I'm lousy at guessing heights but I'm taller than Norm is. I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable whatever way he had it set up. Just different than what I was used to.........
                Ya, that's the funny thing about most bikes. No one way works for everyone. Tall rider, short riders, slim rider and fat riders each need certain mods to make the bike perfect for them. My plan is to keep the ST for a long time so I'm investing in the mods that make it right for me. I am finding that there are some advantages to having both a local rider and a highway touring bike appropriate to the situation. Never can have too many options.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Congrats Julius, now you are learning what I have known for 20 years now.
                  I bought my '93 in '97 and today it has 127K on it and the carbs have never been cleaned. (hope I don't jinx myself)
                  Only 1 time did I remove them to tend to some coolant leaks from below the carbs.
                  Best thing is the fact that it hardly ever needs maintenance attention . However that is also the worst thing about it (in my opinion), I just hate trying to work on the damn thing. If my carbs ever need cleaning perhaps I can bring it to you to teach me how to do it easily. After all, it already knows the roads to Georgia. It has been around. They are great bikes. I just wish they sounded more like a motorcycle.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Nice ride...and that'd be a bike for me to try out someday...but with all that plastic on her...well, that's one of the reasons I miss my FJ1100.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                      Congrats Julius, now you are learning what I have known for 20 years now.
                      I bought my '93 in '97 and today it has 127K on it and the carbs have never been cleaned. (hope I don't jinx myself)
                      Only 1 time did I remove them to tend to some coolant leaks from below the carbs.
                      Best thing is the fact that it hardly ever needs maintenance attention . However that is also the worst thing about it (in my opinion), I just hate trying to work on the damn thing. If my carbs ever need cleaning perhaps I can bring it to you to teach me how to do it easily. After all, it already knows the roads to Georgia. It has been around. They are great bikes. I just wish they sounded more like a motorcycle.
                      No kidding. When I ride past someone on the side of the road they just look and stare at me. The sound of the engine is more like an rubber band driven electric motor then a motorcycle. So quiet except for the sound of the timing belt. Just a high pitched whirling sound. I think there are some aftermarket exhaust that can make the bike sound more macho but most ST riders seem to like to hear nothing. Big change from my GSes. The 1100 motor with V&H exhaust sounds like a beast since it has baffles but with no fiberglass wadding.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                      X