Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My newest addition to the family

Quote Originally Posted by JTGS850GL View Post
    From what I've seen in the picture, it looks like the seat has been lowered and the handlebars are raised and offset. Pretty much what I'm looking to do as well.
    That could well be. I'm lousy at guessing heights but I'm taller than Norm is. I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable whatever way he had it set up. Just different than what I was used to.........
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750E

Quote Originally Posted by bccap View Post
    That could well be. I'm lousy at guessing heights but I'm taller than Norm is. I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable whatever way he had it set up. Just different than what I was used to.........
    Ya, that's the funny thing about most bikes. No one way works for everyone. Tall rider, short riders, slim rider and fat riders each need certain mods to make the bike perfect for them. My plan is to keep the ST for a long time so I'm investing in the mods that make it right for me. I am finding that there are some advantages to having both a local rider and a highway touring bike appropriate to the situation. Never can have too many options.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Congrats Julius, now you are learning what I have known for 20 years now.
    I bought my '93 in '97 and today it has 127K on it and the carbs have never been cleaned. (hope I don't jinx myself)
    Only 1 time did I remove them to tend to some coolant leaks from below the carbs.
    Best thing is the fact that it hardly ever needs maintenance attention . However that is also the worst thing about it (in my opinion), I just hate trying to work on the damn thing. If my carbs ever need cleaning perhaps I can bring it to you to teach me how to do it easily. After all, it already knows the roads to Georgia. It has been around. They are great bikes. I just wish they sounded more like a motorcycle.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100

Nice ride...and that'd be a bike for me to try out someday...but with all that plastic on her...well, that's one of the reasons I miss my FJ1100.
    '80 GS850G {13K}
    '80 GS1000G {30K}
    '40 Plymouth touring - wife calls her my other wife{79k...leaks oil, but she's got great curves}
    '08 Avalon - DD/cage{166k...doesn't burn or leak oil}

Quote Originally Posted by alke46 View Post
    Congrats Julius, now you are learning what I have known for 20 years now.
    I bought my '93 in '97 and today it has 127K on it and the carbs have never been cleaned. (hope I don't jinx myself)
    Only 1 time did I remove them to tend to some coolant leaks from below the carbs.
    Best thing is the fact that it hardly ever needs maintenance attention . However that is also the worst thing about it (in my opinion), I just hate trying to work on the damn thing. If my carbs ever need cleaning perhaps I can bring it to you to teach me how to do it easily. After all, it already knows the roads to Georgia. It has been around. They are great bikes. I just wish they sounded more like a motorcycle.
    No kidding. When I ride past someone on the side of the road they just look and stare at me. The sound of the engine is more like an rubber band driven electric motor then a motorcycle. So quiet except for the sound of the timing belt. Just a high pitched whirling sound. I think there are some aftermarket exhaust that can make the bike sound more macho but most ST riders seem to like to hear nothing. Big change from my GSes. The 1100 motor with V&H exhaust sounds like a beast since it has baffles but with no fiberglass wadding.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings