1978 GS750 Brat/? Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's bad luck
    Fortunately there's a good part of the bolt left to get a grip on.

I have had good results with a welding device, just put a small weld on top of the broken bolt to get heat in there if you have a welding device, otherwise apply heat with a torch.
    The trick : while the bolt is still hot use a wire cutter with the beaks perpendicular to the thread on the bolt, the design with sharp beak and big lever action usually does the trick for me where normal pliers don't get enough grip.

wire-cutter.jpg
    Last edited by Rijko; 06-04-2017, 03:50 AM.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Hmm would have never thought of wire cutters. Also haven't seen the type you posted before.
      I don't have any welding equipment but can pick up a torch. Just get the area nice and hot and grab the bolt with the cutters and hopefully should pop out? I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Comment

welcome.

also don't grip the bolt and just increase force trying to turn it loose,
        but apply force loosening-fastening left-right which will hopefully wiggle dirt/rust free
        between bolt and housing.
        Good luck
        Last edited by Rijko; 06-04-2017, 04:03 AM.
        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

Comment

Another method is to weld a nut to the piece of the bolt that's left. Put a wrench on it and go back and forth until it pops loose. I've had luck with heat and vise grips too, if there's enough of the bolt to grab. Only danger there is you might just break off the nub that's left and then you won't have any meat to weld a nut to if you need to...

Good luck
          sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by Sam 78 GS750 View Post
            Another method is to weld a nut to the piece of the bolt that's left. Put a wrench on it and go back and forth until it pops loose. I've had luck with heat and vise grips too, if there's enough of the bolt to grab. Only danger there is you might just break off the nub that's left and then you won't have any meat to weld a nut to if you need to...

Good luck
            that's a good method.

LOL in this case it might not be a bad thing if the rest of the nub came off.
            If the torch and wirecutter do not produce the desired result, carefully removing a few mm of the top of the remainder of the bolt may be a good option.
            it would probably leave enough of the extractor exposed to get it out and maybe even remove the rest of the damaged bolt in doing so.
            Last edited by Rijko; 06-04-2017, 03:02 PM.
            Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

Comment

heat didnt work :-/ anyone in the bay area wanna help? :-D
              Next is to try and drill the whole thing out I guess. Wish I had a welder

Comment

Working...
              X