Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Fighting Head Shake

Hi all,

I bought my 1977 GS750 two years ago. Last season I noticed the front end started to feel "bouncy". Once I got up to around 40mph if I took my hands off the bars they would shake pretty violently. This past winter I went through the bike pretty well. Brand new steering head bearings and wheel bearings front and rear. New tires front and rear. I went for my first ride this season and the shake is still there. Which direction should I head in now?
    Thanks for the help.

Id probably rebuild the forks. Springs, bushings, seals & oil.

Were the old head bearings bad ? and were you able to "set" the friction on the new ones ?
    Last edited by bonanzadave; 04-13-2017, 08:49 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Forks should be in good shape but I would adjust the stem nut till there is some drag on turning the forks. On the GSXR the use a fish scale. On my stock ED fully restored there was a handlebar wobble at 20-30 mph

Comment

Yea the old head bearings were real bad. I want to say original. They were the loose ball type. I was able to set the friction on the new ones. Maybe a didn't go tight enough? There is a little drag but not very much.

Comment

A sketchy rear end can also transfer to the front.
          Check for any slop in the swingarm bushings and the alignment of the wheels.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

It might be a long shot but I bought a new GT550 in 1972 that after about a week of riding started to have the same symptoms. Took it back to the dealer and everything in the front end was redone but did not help. Being new the front tire only had about 300 miles on it but it was rebalanced ( actually removed from the rim remounted and rebalanced ) and the problem still existed. I finally had them replace the front tire ( which they tried to charge me for ) and it turned out that it was the problem. They never figured out what caused it but it might be worth checking.
            1982 GS750EZ
            1978 GS750EC

Comment

Originally posted by silverhelme View Post
              It might be a long shot but I bought a new GT550 in 1972 that after about a week of riding started to have the same symptoms. Took it back to the dealer and everything in the front end was redone but did not help. Being new the front tire only had about 300 miles on it but it was rebalanced ( actually removed from the rim remounted and rebalanced ) and the problem still existed. I finally had them replace the front tire ( which they tried to charge me for ) and it turned out that it was the problem. They never figured out what caused it but it might be worth checking.
              Thanks for the reply. This has occurred with the old tire as well as with the new one. Maybe I'll try having the wheel rebalanced. Now that I think of it I should make sure the wheel is true as well.

Comment

Tires that don't work well with each other from front to rear can also be a problem.

Comment

So today I tightened up the head bearings a little more but the shake persisted. I discovered that the rear brake is dragging a bit. I tried taking the pads out and going for a ride but the shake persisted. I had the front wheel checked for balance and trueness and it was good. I've noticed that this shake only happens between 40-45 mph. Anything under or over is okay.

Comment

Originally posted by GlassBottle View Post
                    So today I tightened up the head bearings a little more but the shake persisted.
                    Did you loosen a set (top or bottom) of fork tree pinch bolts ? Tightening the stem nut is actually pulling the top and bottom of the tree together. Without loosening a set of pinch bolts you may not be doing anything.

Originally posted by GlassBottle View Post
                    I had the front wheel checked for balance and trueness and it was good. I've noticed that this shake only happens between 40-45 mph. Anything under or over is okay.
                    Kinda how mine was. Although I believe my front tire was older and you said "new tires" but I would not count out a defective front tire.
                    Last edited by bonanzadave; 04-14-2017, 09:25 PM.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

+1 for Dave. The objective is handlebar drag not a tight nut.

Comment

Yes sir I loosened up the top pinch bolts before tightening the stem nut. Yes new tires. They were bought about a month ago. It's very feasible it could be defective I suppose though.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                          A sketchy rear end can also transfer to the front.
                          Check for any slop in the swingarm bushings and the alignment of the wheels.
                          This......
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                            This......
                            I'm going to have to start playing around with the rear end.

Comment

Realize there is a difference between "weave" and "wobble"

Comment

Working...
                              X