• Show
Clear All

Finally....an advantage to being fat!
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Haha I'm definitely getting wobble. I guess I'm "daft" enough to take my hands off the bars!

Comment

This is killing me! It's got a slight "bounce" to it now too. Only between 40-45mph. I snugged the head bearings until I felt the bike start to wander while on a test ride and then backed them off a little. I trued and rebalanced the front and rear tires. I double checked the swingarm bearings. I changed the fork oil with 10w. I tried different tire pressures. I even tried putting on an old set of shocks I had. Nothing seems to make it better or worse. At this point I may just have to ride it as is.

Comment

Originally posted by GlassBottle View Post
          This is killing me! It's got a slight "bounce" to it now too. Only between 40-45mph. I snugged the head bearings until I felt the bike start to wander while on a test ride and then backed them off a little. I trued and rebalanced the front and rear tires. I double checked the swingarm bearings. I changed the fork oil with 10w. I tried different tire pressures. I even tried putting on an old set of shocks I had. Nothing seems to make it better or worse. At this point I may just have to ride it as is.
          How much handlebar force is required to turn the bar? You have to lift the front of the bike off the groudn and there should be some definite drag.

Here is a pages from a 1st gen GSXR 750 on using a scale. The initial force to move is between 200-500 grams at the end of the bar. You shoudl probably be at least at the lower end. 200 gram is about 6 oz.

GSXR750_SteeringDAdjust.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            How much handlebar force is required to turn the bar? You have to lift the front of the bike off the groudn and there should be some definite drag.

Here is a pages from a 1st gen GSXR 750 on using a scale. The initial force to move is between 200-500 grams at the end of the bar. You shoudl probably be at least at the lower end. 200 gram is about 6 oz.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50626[/ATTACH]
            There is definite drag but I currently don't have a scale to use. I'd have to pick one up.

Comment

Hi everyone. In case you are interested I believe this issue has been resolved. I've been riding the bike as is all season until I blew an already leaky fork seal. I replaced both sides and put in fresh oil and the bike seems to be handling much better with no head shake. It still bounces a little but it has much improved. I'm going for a longer ride tomorrow so hopefully it holds up. Thanks for all your input.

Comment

Thanks for reporting back! maybe was unequal fork oil levels? or maybe some blockage in one side of forks?

Comment

Did I mention replace the fork oil,

check air in tires,

look both ways?

Comment

Working...
                  X