No announcement yet.

opinions on idea for custom LED lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok so im looking at my wiring schematic in the back of my clymer manual.

it looks like the 2 pole turn signal relay has power fed to it from fuse block, from there it goes to power the turn signal switch which has the 1 in and 2 outs to each side for lights. so if thats the case i should be able to just replace with LED's?

or am i being stupid? also anybody tried any of the COB LED H4 headlight bulb replacements? been looking at

been reading alot of reviews and they are hit or miss, it seems the 3 LED ones have the best reviews and beam coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by boredinmemind View Post
      it looks like the 2 pole turn signal relay has power fed to it from fuse block, from there it goes to power the turn signal switch which has the 1 in and 2 outs to each side for lights. so if thats the case i should be able to just replace with LED's?
      Go back and read posts 4, 5, 6 and 12. Yes, you can "just replace with LEDs", but your lights are going to flash REALLY QUICKLY, if at all. You will either need to add load resistors or change to a flasher that will work with the lesser load of the LEDs. I don't know if they make any of those flashers with just 2 poles, so you may have to wire in an adapter for the 3-pole flasher.

Originally posted by boredinmemind View Post
      ... also anybody tried any of the COB LED H4 headlight bulb replacements? been looking at

been reading alot of reviews and they are hit or miss, it seems the 3 LED ones have the best reviews and beam coverage.
      No doubt they are extremely bright, but I would like to see what the pattern is that they put on the road.

I hinted at that in post #2, but the fact is that the LED sources are not in the focal spot of the relector, where the incandescent filament lives. Since it is not in the same place, it will project light somewhere other than where it was intended. Light going "other than where intended" can easily go into the eyes of oncoming drivers, blinding them. Let's just hope that you are not in the middle of a curve when you blind them and they don't notice the curve.

As I mentioned in post #2, there have been improvements in the last couple of years, but there have also been a LOT of quickly-copied cheap rip-offs. There is no way of telling which one that is, so feel free to order one and let us know how it works.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i apologize, i went back and re read post #12 as that is the one that i haphazardly read and thought i had some chimera of suzuki that was a meld of 2 years or something because i was being stupid.

ANYWAYS, point being i got what your saying now, and i thank all of you for your help and patience!
        what i notice about those LED bulb replacements is you have to watch which ones you buy as some are made for cars, in that they have the set of 2 with differing reflectors so unsuitable for a single bulb setup.
        i plan on trying out this set and i will report back with night pics when i do get them.

searched amazon and found this also.

looks like they just used a variable resistor so you can even adjust the speed.

next project should be straight forward and ill be posting about that soon.

Comment

looks like they just used a variable resistor so you can even adjust the speed

I have never, ever wanted to adjust the speed of turn signals. That "you can even adjust the speed" suggests to me that you may HAVE to adjust the speed.

Comment

As long as there is some common sense applied when the speed is adjusted, I think that's a great idea.

Not holding my breath for the "common sense" part, but it's still a good idea.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i assume it's there because not every bike is the same and not every LED assembly is the same, thus this allows you to have a more "universal" part so it can be adjusted to whatever application.

and i wouldnt mind a SLIGHTLY faster blink.

the next project i plan on doing is nabbing a common cathode 14 segment display and making my own gear indicator. that should be fairly straight forward actually.

Comment

Working...
              X