Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Another shop "cant figure it out" threads

Rick, I'd have to think its somewhat of a thankless job as mine is
    I've found after doing HVAC service for 17 years, its rare that a customer will actually call the shop and report that things are good. Typically, no news is good news.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbill5491 View Post
    When folks around my area see my bike and ask what year it is, I always get the same answer...Oh I had one like that! sure...anyways, they'll then ask me who works on your bike...me I do. Say are you any good...my bike runs don't it. Uh, think you can look at my old bike and tell me what is wrong with it...maybe. How much would you charge to work on it...nothing because I won't work on it. Why not...because I don't want too. Blah blah and blah. Exception was Ed lol.
    Yeah, but working on Ed's motorcycle was more a social meeting that work. And if I remember right, Ed did a lot of the work himself. You just helped him along. 👍

That's how I like to do it. Have a couple of friends over for a tire changing party or a oil changing party...
    My Motorcycles:
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (needs restored)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

Quote Originally Posted by chuck hahn View Post
    I see it more as something to do and make a few extra dollars. Im not a greedy sort. I would rather wrench and stay busy than sit on my azzz and watch TV.
    Do you do house calls Chuck ? Just go up to the end of the street and hang a right. You can't miss me..........
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Quote Originally Posted by bccap View Post
    Do you do house calls Chuck ? Just go up to the end of the street and hang a right. You can't miss me..........
    Actually don't laugh. Years ago there was a guy in Vancouver that worked out of cube van that did house calls for tires changes. He stocked a ton of tires and pretty much would have what you wanted in stock. He also contracted to a number of dealers to assemble and PDI new bikes so they didn't have to pull their mechanics off a job or hire temporary staff for that part of the season. He seemed to do quite well for himself and don't know if he's still doing it. It was a long time ago. There's always a small niche if you think outside the box a bit.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Actually don't laugh. Years ago there was a guy in Vancouver that worked out of cube van that did house calls for tires changes. He stocked a ton of tires and pretty much would have what you wanted in stock. He also contracted to a number of dealers to assemble and PDI new bikes so they didn't have to pull their mechanics off a job or hire temporary staff for that part of the season. He seemed to do quite well for himself and don't know if he's still doing it. It was a long time ago. There's always a small niche if you think outside the box a bit.
    How long ago was that Sandy ? About thirty or so years ago I was living in an old house in the West End. I had some guy come out and bore and hone the cylinders in my Rover 2000 right on the street in front of the house.......
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Years ago our HD, Honda, Suzuki dealer called me about fixing a customer GS750. They knew I drag race a GS1100 and they didn't have a clue if they couldn't plug it into a computer.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

How long ago was that Sandy ? About thirty or so years ago I was living in an old house in the West End. I had some guy come out and bore and hone the cylinders in my Rover 2000 right on the street in front of the house.......
    It was mid 70s shortly before I left Vancouver. Lived in the same neighbourhood as you too. Southeast corner of Harwood and Thurlow just up from the beach, small 3 story walk up apartment building, I think it's actually still there. Had a penthouse, Ha Ha.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Quote Originally Posted by mrbill5491 View Post
    When folks around my area see my bike and ask what year it is, I always get the same answer...Oh I had one like that! sure...anyways, they'll then ask me who works on your bike...me I do. Say are you any good...my bike runs don't it. Uh, think you can look at my old bike and tell me what is wrong with it...maybe. How much would you charge to work on it...nothing because I won't work on it. Why not...because I don't want too. Blah blah and blah. Exception was Ed lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by storm 64 View Post
    Yeah, but working on Ed's motorcycle was more a social meeting that work. And if I remember right, Ed did a lot of the work himself. You just helped him along. 👍

That's how I like to do it. Have a couple of friends over for a tire changing party or a oil changing party...
    Hey!

How'd my name get thrown in the mix? (Wait, I benefited from meeting you, Bill)

Yes, Norm...Bill and I did/do enjoy the camaraderie that comes with owning a GS. Bill is a very motivated Rider and I am thankful to have met him.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Rear Shocks, Rebuilt MC/Caliper & new single-braided front line, Tarozzi Forks Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

AKA: "Red" as named (Affectionately) by Gramma P.

Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

rustybronco is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Back in the day you could get some one to come out to your house and grind a crank throw in chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkburger View Post
    Rick, I'd have to think its somewhat of a thankless job as mine is
    I've found after doing HVAC service for 17 years, its rare that a customer will actually call the shop and report that things are good. Typically, no news is good news.
    Like anything...a little periodic maintenance can be a wonderful thing. However, folks only wait till something isn't working any more to call you.
    I do actually let the folks I outsource know if all is well....it's the nice other side of the coin, as opposed to the second call when things didn't work like they should after fixed.
    '80 GS850G {13K}
    '80 GS1000G {30K}
    '40 Plymouth touring - wife calls her my other wife{79k...leaks oil, but she's got great curves}
    '08 Avalon - DD/cage{166k...doesn't burn or leak oil}