Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX 400 F Katana 1983 rattling clutch basket

Hello there again from Poland,

I don't know where to place this question, nobody in my country seems to know the answer. So the problem is simple. I hear a lot of rattling on idle it comes a little bit "deaf" when I pull the clutch lever. I also hear that a lot when I do every corner lower to the ground than normal riding(on circuit). I have analyzed service manual and I can't find in the picture what can rattle that bad in this engine. I have replaced camshaft chain because it was worn out that tensioner didn't have anything left, adjusted valve clerance because that was very off plus complete rebuild of carburetors because they were in a very bad shape. Now she runs very fine but that clutch basket still goes to my ears.

Manual says only one thing about clutch basket in the changes section of FD or FZ type GSX 400F(with ani-dive) - Replace clutch basket and filler when hearing clutch noises. I have the FD type with later type engine where they changed crankshaft and crankshaft bearing to the new ones so this engine stopped having bottom end issues like previous models.

Clutch is stil stock, even friction plates are stock from 83. Mileage ~90k kilometres. In my way of thinking only one thing that can catch loose tolerance is the "filler" and the bronze tube inside of clutch basket, where else? This clutch doesn't have springs on the back like GS 1100 E. I'll try to attach photos of brand new NOS clutch basket for this engine, maybe there is someone who had this problem too or disassembled little "Katanas" before. I can fabricate clutch basket tube in my shop from a special bronze for that - in my country it is called "fosforobraz"(I skipped specific "A" letter in the name because that might display odd on your browsers). I cannot trace scrap engine yet. If I do I will replace the basket.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I don't have personal experience with this model - not many here will as I think it was a japanse home market model.
    But if you have clutch rattling noises it can only be one of three things.
    Shock absorber springs - Not possible in this model apparently - are you quite sure there aren't hidden springs in the clutch hub ?
    The center bearing - if you can make a replacement in Phosphor Bronze that's fine, but measure up the clearance it has now. If it's less than .10mm, IMO it's fine and don't replace.
    The end clearances on the shaft - with the clutch assembled onto the shaft without plates and tightened down, see how much in and out movement the basket has. If you can set up a dial gauge to measure it, that's ideal. Any more than .05 - .08mm and that's your rattle.

A lot of Honda fours have a solid clutch basket like this. When they develop a rattle it's wear on the back of the basket. I've fixed it by machining the back of the basket flat again and inserting a shim washer.

Comment

No, there are no springs(technical draw proves there are none), the backplate on this basket has crevices for oil pump gear only, that is it. So then, I need to disasseble the right side and do some measurments, now I know what to do.

Somehow I cannot manage this picture adding system I cannot even paste from URL...

Attached Files
      Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2017, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Now we see the problem. The drawing shows that there are bushes in there which the rivets pass through. They're almost certainly rubber - and collapsed.
        Just try moving the basket while holding the gear - it should probably move...

Kawasaki do it the same in several models. I've replaced the rubber bushes with urethane - the same grade used in car suspension bushes.
        It's a bit stiffer than rubber but works well and lasts.

Comment

It wouldn't be the starter clutch making the noise would it?
          I would not think so on a 400.
          What about the clutch nut being loose or the inner clutch hub rattled out of spec?
          Does it have a bendable splined lock washer on the clutch nut?
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

No I have been to starter clutch last year - last july when I have changed the stator. It is fine there. Okay now I see I guess. The sprocket is mounted on a rubber bushes that are under that plate. We have few options - rubber, poliurethane similiar to factory rubber. I need to check what is available in Poland then. So now we have the culprit. Bronze bushind and filler theory didn't add up for me.

So still I need some kind of new basket for this before I take apart the old one. I need to have that insurance in a spare part.

Comment

Working...
            X