New Project: 78 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a rotor on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Suzuki-GS750-GS-750-79-Right-Front-Brake-Rotor-/232089662644?hash=item36099f34b4%3Ag%3A8hUAAOSwIgN XkvsO
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Yep the bike has points and electronic ignition is something I had in my head for the future. I'm a car guy and i'm really into engine tuning so if I could find a unit that would allow me to do a programmable timing curve that's probably what I would end up with. As for the exhaust I think I have figured out that it is a V&H header with some generic muffler put onto it. And finally the brakes I think I am going to clean up the calipers and see if that gets rid of the shake under braking and if not then I guess i'll have to try to find a good used rotor
      The current garage:
      1978 GS750
      1975 GT750M
      1984 CB700SC
      1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
      1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Comment

Well, I'll follow your step, take the caliper off and clean, maybe it will make a big difference.

I also have a a V&H but it's the full exhaust, maybe we can go back and forth while dialing in the carbs, or I assume yours are quite close already.

I put a K&N replacement in the factory airbox, so I'm going to have to change the needle height and maybe the mains, they have 105s now, and it rode quite nice with a slight hesitation when taking off with the throttle too open.

How's your bike run when running hard threw the gears?

Comment

I haven't even touched the carburetors yet. I set the timing (it was way off) and the plugs show that the bike runs pretty rich. That being said it pulls hard in every gear and all around runs great. My air filter is just about destroyed so I may go with the K&N as well but they are kinda expensive so I may just end up finding filter material and re wrapping the cage that's in there. I did pull one of the float bowls the other day just to see how dirty the inside of the carburetors where. To my surprise they are immaculately clean. One thing that struck me as odd is it had a plastic main jet in it. Is this normal?

Also forgot to mention that cleaning the front and rear calipers got rid of the shaking. I didn't even replace the seals just cleaned up the pistons and cleaned out all the old fluid
          Last edited by The1970's; 05-13-2017, 10:32 AM.
          The current garage:
          1978 GS750
          1975 GT750M
          1984 CB700SC
          1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
          1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Comment

Originally posted by The1970's View Post
            One thing that struck me as odd is it had a plastic main jet in it. Is this normal?
            The jets are usually brass. I've never seen plastic jets on a bike carb.
            sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Plastic main jets are an idea that came and went - my 29sb have them
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by The1970's View Post
                I haven't even touched the carburetors yet. I set the timing (it was way off) and the plugs show that the bike runs pretty rich. That being said it pulls hard in every gear and all around runs great. My air filter is just about destroyed so I may go with the K&N as well but they are kinda expensive so I may just end up finding filter material and re wrapping the cage that's in there. I did pull one of the float bowls the other day just to see how dirty the inside of the carburetors where. To my surprise they are immaculately clean. One thing that struck me as odd is it had a plastic main jet in it. Is this normal?

Also forgot to mention that cleaning the front and rear calipers got rid of the shaking. I didn't even replace the seals just cleaned up the pistons and cleaned out all the old fluid
                Sounds like our 750s are too far off from running the same; runs well but could run better. I was surprised too how clean the inside of my carbs were too.

Good info about cleaning your brakes hopefully mine will turn out the same way.

Comment

I asked a question and already got the answer in Bikeciffs
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

So, I finally got my parts in except I have to go pick them up 3hrs away in Karlstad which isnŽ't too bad I just want to get them.

However, just today I was looking on Blocket and saw a GSX1100e for sale for what amounts to $600, it runs but has a knock, I am staring down the parts; better condition wheels, bigger brakes, better forks, longer travel, better rear suspension, larger wheels, maybe dump my points? I know sport bike swaps are popular but I would be very happy with what a GSX1100 has to offer my GS750, plus the rear fairing looks to be good and not have a huge chuck out of it like mine. Should suspension and ignition parts switch over easy? Anyone got any opinions?

If I did buy this I would use the parts for the GS and maybe down the road tear down the motor on the GSX and go about finding sport bike suspension etc for it and make it road worthy, but that would be quite awhile.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X