really cheap sorta fix for airbox boot problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

really cheap sorta fix for airbox boot problem

Grumble grumble .. getting the airbox boots to stay on the carbs was frustrating as hell. I took the carbs off and mounted the airbox side first and tried all manner of things but would come back from a little test trip and they were sliding off.

The problem wasnt the boots and the boots are very pliable and soft. First thing was I swapped out the little spring clamps, which were shot, and bought hose clamps from home depot. The wrap around style with teeth. This helped immensely but the real culprit wasnt the boots but the box. Its a pretty soft plastic and its an old bike and the center of the box had an inside bow to it. I read that some people take a heat gun to it and kind of force it out but that would mean removing the carbs again so forget that. I found if I removed the filter box I could get into the box with a small section of closet pole and push the boots snugly on to the carbs. That was the answer but then the box still wants to come back. Soooooo.... I figured I would brace the box. I put a little piece of cork in between the frame and air box. Boots havent slipped off once. They are nice and locked on. During the summer I will make a new box out of fiberglass but for now this is doing a great job.
    cork sm.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2017, 04:17 PM.

I'm all for cheap fixes. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

small benefit to getting older .. I actually had a cork! Back the last time I had a GS .. it was '78 and boonesfarm and boonesfarm had a screw on cap .. and that wouldnt work! "

But the ladies loved it! LOL

Comment

You know Wikipedia define Robert Shaw wine as "extreme value" ............kinda goes with our GS bikes, nicely done.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

That's a good, if temporary fix. Those clamps will eventually chew the heck out of your carb boots like a dog through rawhide.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I like the idea of pushing gthe boots on via the inside of the airbox !
            BUT
            What is a closet pole ?
            and you this pole with no airbox modification to push them on ?
            UKJULES
            ---------------------------------
            Owner of following bikes:
            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

A closet pole is the wooden pole in your closet from which you hang your cloths. In Brooklyn I have seen it used to good effect as a head bopper and general melee weapon but that was another place and time.

Any piece of wood would do or even a piece of pvc with a rag wrapped around the top. I tried a 2x3 but it doesnt fit in the hole. The problem is the airbox plastic is kind of wimpy and the front that supports the boots has a definite bow in. But its not very hard plastic so by removing the airfilter housing I was able to push in on the face of the airbox with one hand using the piece of closet pole and tighten the clamps on the two inside boots that go to carb 2 and 3. After that clamping 1 and 4 was a breeze. Just be careful what material you choose because there are rubber velocity stack kind of things on the inside and you can bugger them up if you use something sharp which is why I said if I used pvc I would tape a rag over the head.

Comment

I get it now , lost in translation.
                I so have the same problem with my airbox. I fear taking my carbs off purely as i have to put them on again.
                My rd250 has the perfect design. A rubber hose in between the airbox and carb inlet.
                Heat with hair dryer and put it in.

I so wish the gs design was better as this part of a strip down is so so hard
                UKJULES
                ---------------------------------
                Owner of following bikes:
                1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Why don't you do the bracing inside the airbox, since you were able to get a closet pole in there, cut a suitably sized rod and when you lever it out with your pole insert the rod and keep it bowed out.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                    You know Wikipedia define Robert Shaw wine as "extreme value" ............kinda goes with our GS bikes, nicely done.
                    Charles Shaw....Two buck Chuck.
                    sigpic
                    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                    1983 GS1100e
                    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                    1980 GS1260
                    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                    X