Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Restorer--1978 GS750

Hello,

I bought a 1978 GS750 in October 2016 with the intent of building a cafe racer. NEVER done this before, I haven't even ridden for about 7 or 8 years (realized that I didn't really like any bikes, and that I really wanted to make a custom one). I can do basic car maintenance (change oil, brake pads, maybe other intermediate-level work), but working on motorcycles is new. I figure that as a responsible rider, I should know more about how it works in case I encounter problems.

So, I'll be pleading with you all through the summer as I dismantle this thing (already have begun), document what goes where, find "extra parts" underneath my workbench and corners of my garage, and attempt to clean, paint, and rebuild.

I'm pretty stoked about this bike. I'm the 3rd owner (kid I bought it from left it outside for about a year, never rode it), and it's totally untouched and all original. It even still has the little plastic tool pouch with all the wrenches, etc. But, no title .

Anyway, as I take it apart, I'm taking photos and marking everything with tape and a number. I bought a Haynes manual. Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance for your help/sympathy/patience.

20161009_152114.jpg

Lots of great info on this site! Good luck with the build. Just make sure you do it right or you might catch some grief on here! LOL There are some on here that do not like to see these classics chopped up.....myself included. You got a few non-original parts there. The front signals, mufflers, etc. But it looks like you have a nice starting point. My suggestion would be to keep it stock and get it running properly before starting the build, then you have a good base point to see what needs to be fixed so the build will go smoother. And you may want to keep it stock! Just my $.02. Good luck with it!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

First thing I would do is make sure you can get a title.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Maybe it's just because I have the same bike, but it seems like there is suddenly a bunch of '78 750s being worked on here. Search the posts on the regulator/rectifier upgrade and wiring mod. The original design tended to damage stators and cause fires in the headlight bucket. (When I bought my bike, the bucket was melted and cracked.) Find a used or new SH775 reg/rec on ebay. Watch out for imitations.
        Explore BikeCliff's website. And read Nessism's Top 10 Newbie Mistakes.
        Plus one on not chopping her up.
        If you can't get a title, move to Maine. Vintage bikes don't need one here.
        K.

1978 GS750E
        1981 KZ440D

Comment

Originally posted by SKiraly View Post

....and it's totally untouched and all original.
          The turn signals, seat and exhaust are not original, and the airbox is missing.You'd be better off assuming nothing is right with this bike until you prove that it is. Download the workshop manual from BassCliff - and read the Haynes manual - get a good feel for it then start to fix it. First off, what model is it? Looks like the B model. These early models look the same but there are subtle differences. There are plenty of helpful '78 owners on here so you're in good shape. AND....welcome to the forum!
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Single front disc and spoke wheels usually indicates a 1977 model.
            K.

1978 GS750E
            1981 KZ440D

Comment

Working...
            X