Fork Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
    Progressive springs (talking fork springs) on the street aren't all that, you get the best benefit with progressives on the track.
    That is backwards. Progressive springs allow a softer ride on the street while stiffening up to accommodate increased loads due to luggage, passenger, etc. No track bikes or race bikes use progressive springs or linkages if they can help it, the non-linear wheel rates complicate tuning significantly.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
      That is backwards. Progressive springs allow a softer ride on the street while stiffening up to accommodate increased loads due to luggage, passenger, etc. No track bikes or race bikes use progressive springs or linkages if they can help it, the non-linear wheel rates complicate tuning significantly.

Mark

Uh, no it isn't. http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/stra...ch_article.php
      Another article stated they are better for the tracks because the way progressive springs can react to track loading conditions.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I just sent request to Z1 for Sonic fork springs as well as cartridge emulator.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          Uh, no it isn't. http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/stra...ch_article.php
          Another article stated they are better for the tracks because the way progressive springs can react to track loading conditions.
          Sonic states : "I think it’s safe to say that there’s not a single reputable suspension tuner who advocates progressive springs."

i've found one in 10 seconds, Hyperpro is a reputable manufacturer.
          Google is happy to provide an article for every point of view :-)

Every single suspension manufacturer makes progressive springs...
          that must mean something.
          Progressive springs have been hot for decades now.

We're talking road use, not track use or motorcross.
          Ever try race tyres on the road ? They work like crap.

It is a known fact progressive springs are an improvement over 35+
          year old straight springs for my GS.
          But in combination with cartridge emulators and/or air preload, straight springs
          may be better.

There are so many factors and different applications it think is not ok to try to apply
          one remark from one manufacturer to all situations.

I happily accept this is complicated stuff and i am happy with an improvement
          over stock suspension - and i believe the progressive springs are just that.
          Last edited by Rijko; 04-25-2017, 03:15 PM.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
            Sonic states : "I think it’s safe to say that there’s not a single reputable suspension tuner who advocates progressive springs."

i've found one in 10 seconds, Hyperpro is a reputable manufacturer.
            Google is happy to provide an article for every point of view :-)

Every single suspension manufacturer makes progressive springs...
            that must mean something.
            Progressive springs have been hot for decades now.

We're talking road use, not track use or motorcross.
            Ever try race tyres on the road ? They work like crap.

It is a known fact progressive springs are an improvement over 35+
            year old straight springs for my GS.
            But in combination with cartridge emulators and/or air preload, straight springs
            may be better.

There are so many factors and different applications it think is not ok to try to apply
            one remark from one manufacturer to all situations.

My bike come stock with progressive front springs, I went to the straight rate springs and they work much better. Odd that it seems like so many of us here have gone to the Sonic straight rate springs on our GS bikes and like them. You do whatever you want.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I got a reply from Z1E; they do not carry Sonic fork springs.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                They are an improvement because they are stiffer than the woefully soft OEM springs, but they are still too soft overall. You can get a much bigger improvement by using springs of the correct rate and currently those are all straight rate.

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                I got a reply from Z1E; they do not carry Sonic fork springs.
                Just buy them straight from Sonic. The service is excellent and prices are very reasonable.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Sent Request to Sonic.

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                  X