Rubber Boots Airbox to Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubber Boots Airbox to Carbs

Good day. I have a 79 gs1000 with vm26 carbs. I have been unable to find Airbox to carb rubber boots for it. Where do you folks get yours from? The bike is stock, running the stock airbox. I am chasing a vacuum leak and popping in the carbs. Bike runs great except the idle hangs a bit, then pops. The popping drops the idle for a bit, then it goes back to normal...I've got to be close to fixing the problem.

Here's what has been done in the last 100 miles to avoid too many diagnosis questions. bored jugs to accommodate a Wiseco 1085 kit, Carbs fully disassembled, cleaned, new oring kit, seats and needles, gaskets, new exhaust gaskets, valves seats cut, lapped (new intake valves, exhaust valve guides....everything else is within spec), valves shimmed to spec and new carb to engine boots installed. I can find the airbox boots for 80-81 but not 78-79...am I missing something?

I would think your idle problem is on engine side of carb assembly not the airbox side. When you put on new carb boots to cylinder head, did you use correct o-ring/material? Did o-ring cleatly "stand" above boot flange surface?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Suzuki never sold the airbox to carb hoses for a GS1000 (VM carb model) separately to the airbox. However, GS750 hoses are almost identical, fit and work fine.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Good to know....what year of GS750 airbox boots fit? Who carries them?

Also, I've purchased carb to engine intake boots from JDM. They don't require o-rings as they have a raised lip manufactured into them in place of using o-rings. The boots were torqued to 6 ft lbs as per the carb rebuild tutorial.

Comment

The GS750 8 valve hoses, any year, fit (so 76 to 79). The hoses for the 16 valve engines (80 onwards) don't fit.

Should be available at your local Suzuki dealership or any of the main online guys.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working on a similar issue on my '79 550. Would the 750 airbox boots work as replacements for my model, or are they at a larger diameter than the 550 carbs?

Comment

The 550 hoses are much smaller.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

For my '77 GS750 I got these from Z1 for $53:

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                1977 GS550
                1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Yes...just an update. I purchased ones just like the ones posted by sam000lee as per hampshirehogs advice and they fit nicely in the 79 GS1000 stock airbox. Thanks for all the help!

The bike runs alot better but not perfect. Seem to have something weird happening in Cyl #2. I've screwed barbs with rubber caps on them where the small screws normally are for synching the carbs.(can't remember what they're called, sorry).The engine pops and blows the rubber cap right off the barbs on Cyl#2 very regularly and less frequently on Cyl #3.(The bike actually idles much better with the rubber cap off the barb on Cyl #2 but I know it ain't right). I'm at a loss but I'm going to start by checking my point adjustment then playing with the fuel screws and "reading" the spark plugs. Runs great at any rpm over 1500 and pulls well with a little weakness at full throttle. (pretty sure I just need to drop my needle clip one position to fix the full throttle problem).

Any advice is appreciated though as I know I'm getting close.

Maybe I should buy a Morgan or Gunsen colourtune...
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2017, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X