what is the collective feeling on Gas tank carb cleaner additives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the collective feeling on Gas tank carb cleaner additives

I relined my tank, replaced my petcock, replaced my fuel and vacuum lines and rebuilt/cleaned my carbs. I used chem dip and carb spray and compressed air but didnt poke with wire. I now have a funky spot at 4000 rpm in forth and fifth gear. Starts to feel like its lugging and then it stalls at the light and I had to ride home with the choke part way open. Yesterday I rode 20 miles with no incident and filled up the tank last night and today .. stalling again.

I had those damn carbs out 3 times and apart 2 so I am not really relishing the thought of opening them back up now that they are installed so nicely. I was thinking maybe half a bottle of a carb cleaner like gum out or stp in the gas tank and see how it goes but thought I would see if there were any horror stories
    first.

With the new gaskets and parts the only things not replaced besides the body was the needle jet ... the one with the series of holes in it that goes right in the middle .. and the float. I am wondering if I didnt get my needle jet emulsion tube clean enough.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2017, 04:47 PM.

Are you saying you replaced the other brass parts? Were the replacement parts from carb "rebuild kits"?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

at first based on what I read here I only bought the gasket set and intended to use the parts that were in the carbs but then when I took the carbs apart I realized the parts were fairly shot. The screw heads were buggered and he had loaded up the tank with some type of fuel stabilizer and I guess from sitting there it became like a hard epoxy and after soaking the first carb and parts for 16 hours I realized it was rebuild time. Float needles were scored with a heavy ridge, springs on the air valves were corroded and the rubber plugs over the pilot jet just crumbled when I went to take them out. They were a mess.

I bought a K&L rebuild kit and installed but it doesnt come with a needle jet emulsion tube or floats. That I had to reuse.

Here is the weird part and I posted about it in another thread but just confirmed it 10 minutes ago. After I initially started the bike after the rebuild it ran for a solid 20 minutes and I turned it off. Next day no joy .. I tried until I killed the battery and then after recharge I took off the gas cap and it fired right up.

I took the cap apart and cleaned it and yesterday the wife and I were out for 20 miles without problem. Started out with about 2 gallons Came home and topped up the tank to the brim. Today .. started no problem and then about 6 miles out started to have issues and limped home. Wouldn't start up again. Just for giggles I just went out and pulled off the gas cap. Jumped to life like no ones business and idled beautifully. I have a new cap on the way but I think it is some sort of vapor lock??
      Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

well new cap installed and it did it to me again today. Sigh .. To early in the game to get frustrated. I take it out and it starts, runs and idles wonderfully for about 6 miles. stopping, taking off no problem. Its already in the 90's here so I guess that is how long it takes to get to full temp and then I get to a corner. Pull the clutch and stall. I can then get the bike restarted with the choke on and ride it home the rest of the way with the choke engaged at about halfway. If I turn off the choke it runs but first stop and stall.

I dont know how old the battery is so I have it on a charger right now to see if it is just not fully charged but I cant see that being an issue only when its hot but .. I read some posts that said it could be charging system so I will check that out and I guess I am pulling my carbs out again this weekend and giving them another cleaning.

Comment

I'm having a similar situation with my Honda. Starts and runs great, about 20 miles later, I'm alternating choke on/off to get home. It'll die, I turn it off and then back on, and it runs fine. I thought it was vapor lock as well and got a new cap, but that didn't do it. Now, it runs if I'm grabbing the throttle, but if I leisurely accelerate, it starts missing and when I level off, it starts missing. Only when I give it lots of throttle will it not do it. My mechanic recommended Techron by Chevron additive. Unfortunately, I only have put about 90 miles on the bike with that in it, so I don't think that's enough to do anything.

I'm starting to lean more towards it being electrical as well. I've pulled various connectors about from the igniters and coils and cleaned them, but it still does it. I'm taking the coils in for testing on Tuesday.
          Last edited by Deuce; 04-19-2017, 07:42 PM.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
          Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Working...
          X