Gear Shift / Transmission Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Shift / Transmission Problem

I've been attempting to rebuild a 1981 GS850GLX that sat untouched in a shed since 1983. It's been a project. Last year while the cylinder head and jugs off, I split the cases but didn't mess with the gears. Then put it back together. The bike's in the final stages of repair/replace. Today I installed the rear wheel (for the first time since tearing it down), tried to spin it and it's in gear. So I say to myself "self...I thought it's always been in neutral." Well, okay I grab the shift lever and...ugh what a mess. It doesn't go into neutral. It's stuck in a gear or something. Once in a while the shift lever feels like it clicks...then other times it moves downward beyond what's normal and with a thunk. Then it wants to upshift or downshift endlessly...like it has 8 gears. Other times it won't move at all.

I don't know if the bike was like this when i got it last year, if it's something I did when it was apart, or if something just gave way with age. I'm hoping it's a gearshift problem that can be fixed through the side cover or the oil pan after removing the clutch. I hope it doesn't mean splitting the cases again...yeah right. Dang it. I know my description isn't great but any thoughts on what the problem could be.

Pull clutch cover off ,remove clutch,and have a look at shifting mechanism lurking there...image.jpg
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

thanks for the pic, tom203. with the picture, i can see the problem would happen. the thunking sound could be the gear on the shifting shaft hitting the bottom of the case. i'll be able to get to the garage tomorrow with any luck and do a quick look. thanks again.

Comment

Finally...made it to the garage today and, after removing the clutch, found things looking like this:
        DSCF1752.jpg

Also found that the thin washer sitting behind the nut for the sleeve hub was kind of bent up and chewed up in one section.
        I'd post a pic but only allowed one per post. Not sure exactly how that would have happened since the bike's not been running or moving.
        Anyhow got one off eBay and it's already in the mail.
        Hopefully realigning the teeth on the shifting shaft to the cam gear and the new washer will fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BadMonk View Post
          Finally...made it to the garage today and, after removing the clutch, found things looking like this:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]50642[/ATTACH]

Also found that the thin washer sitting behind the nut for the sleeve hub was kind of bent up and chewed up in one section.
          I'd post a pic but only allowed one per post. Not sure exactly how that would have happened since the bike's not been running or moving.
          Anyhow got one off eBay and it's already in the mail.
          Hopefully realigning the teeth on the shifting shaft to the cam gear and the new washer will fix the problem.
          How does a shift paw fall down like that? Nice call on Tom's part.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I believe the return spring wasn't in its right place which is the return spring prongs under the stopper arm and a small protrusion (don't know the right word) over the stopper arm. This gives the spring leverage to do its job. Without leverage, it won't have spring and won't return anything.

I don't know for sure how it got that way. Maybe I didn't align things when assembling or things misaligned while jostling the motor to get it together and back into the frame. I don't know. The mystery for me is how the washer got bent and chewed up??
            DSCF1749.jpg
            Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2017, 09:23 PM. Reason: duh

Comment

The washer is bent up after installation to lock the nut in place. Buy a new one, it will be flat. After torquing the big nut fold up the edge to lock. It gets boogered up when someone removes it and tries to use it a second time.
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Okay, thanks for the info on the washer. There's a nice new flat one in the mail headed my way.

Comment

The gear selector shaft is also held in place by a washer and circlip on the sprocket side of the engine. You might want to check that this is place so the shift quadrant does't get knocked out of mesh again.
                  sigpicDarryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                  1982 GSX750S Katana
                  1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

I don't remember a washer and circlip...that mighty explain a thing or two. I don't see them on the parts diagram though. Thank you.

Are you talking about the stopper arm and lock washer maybe?
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2017, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Apologies, I thought you had a GS750E different arrangement on an 850 shafty.
                      Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 04-20-2017, 11:46 PM.
                      sigpicDarryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                      1982 GSX750S Katana
                      1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

No need for apologies, KiwiAlfa156. Thanks for looking at my thread and keeping me on my toes...it helps me to be sure about what I'm doing.

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post
                          The gear selector shaft is also held in place by a washer and circlip on the sprocket side of the engine. You might want to check that this is place so the shift quadrant does't get knocked out of mesh again.
                          The 8 valve 750/850 doesn't use the clip. That is why the shaft is longer in the clutch cavity. The clutch cover holds it in place. When installing the cover you must check that the shaft is aligned with the shift cam on the drum.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                            The 8 valve 750/850 doesn't use the clip. That is why the shaft is longer in the clutch cavity. The clutch cover holds it in place. When installing the cover you must check that the shaft is aligned with the shift cam on the drum.
                            That's what I thought, but was unsure.. so anytime clutch cover is off, things can get knocked off.?
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Is something else wrong?

The gear shifting parts are in and aligned correctly now. The clutch cover is off and the clutch is out. It still doesn't shift and the wheel is still locked up in gear. This is a dumb question but is that normal because it's disassembled? I'm hoping that it needs to be reassembled to run thru the gears...and find neutral.

20170423_095537.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X