Started cranking then suddenly went dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started cranking then suddenly went dead

Getting my 1982 GS 1100 out from winter storage and was cranking the starter for a bit cause it's hard to start after the winter and all of a sudden everything went dead. Battery has been on trickle charger and all the fuses look ok. Are there any other fuses or could it be the starter relay? Thanks for your reply/suggestions.

Battery terminals and wires clean and tight?
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

what went dead, starter motor or battery? More time spent in garage than here and should be sorted by now. Or at least tell us if it was or wasnt the battery.

Comment

"all of a sudden everything went dead."

suspect the main (or ignition) fuse- replace them,their looks can fool you! Then recharge battery
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the responses. It was in the middle of cranking and suddenly went dead. Replaced both the 10A and 15A fuses. I would be surprised if it was the battery since it stopped in the middle of cranking. I will research more tonight. Thanks..

Comment

The whole ignition system went dead. Was in the middle of cranking and just immediately stopped. No lights, no starter, no nothing. Thought a fuse has blown.

Comment

Is it going now after the fuse change?? If it isnt, I had that happen on my 77 750 and it was the hot wire soldered to the bottom of the switch had came off. Resoldered it and was fine again.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Update
                fuses all changed, still nothing
                battery reads 12 volts on meter
                put a screwdriver to jump the leads on the starter relay, nothing.
                I was leaning towards starter relay, but ruled it out after the failed jump and the fact the there is absolutely no power to anything when I turn the key.
                If it was the battery, I would think the meter would read zero and it would not have failed suddenly. I would also think that when I turned the key I would get a faint light somewhere. Do batteries fail suddenly and completely?
                I am running out of options before I gotta take it to the shop.
                Thanks!

Comment

Have the battery "Load-tested" at a battery centre or autoparts store. It is possible that the battery cannot produce enough amps to turn the starter motor, even though voltage is 12V.

Was the trickle charger an "intelligent" type of charger that goes through multiple stages and adjusts charging rate automatically? In my experience the old "dumb" type trickle chargers can kill a wet battery (not AGM type) if left on for extended time periods.
                  1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Have the battery "Load-tested" at a battery centre or autoparts store
                    He has a meter, so he could just watch the voltage when trying to crank (or merely turning the ignition key)?

I bet it goes down to some 6 volts.
                    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

You can also use jumpers and a car battery to see if the new stronger battery supply solves the issue. Just DO NOT have the car or truck running when hooked to the bike. I have had batteries that had sat for long long times act up due to low charge. Jumped them off to start the bike and then the bikes charging system refreshes the battery. Now be mindful that the battery may take a recharge but still not be able to produce the proper cranking amps...which is what the load test as mentioned above will discover.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yeah, just because your battery is showing 12+ on a volt meter doesn't mean it can push that voltage. It needs to be load tested. I would think that the lights or something would come on though, even if the battery won't turn the starter. The battery my have a plate that has come loose internally and is causing the sudden failure. I would try jumping it or replacing it with a known good battery. I'd also try going straight to the + post on the starter to see if your starter has locked up.
                        GSRick
                        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

If everything goes dead check the wire harness.The hot connector on my 78 1000 did that and it was a lose bullet connector

Comment

Don't forget the ground wires as well. If everything is dead, and you have +12 at the battery, then start looking upstream from the battery. Keep one probe on the engine case while checking the voltage from battery + to main fuse (both sides) to the ignition switched 10 amp fuse. If you're jumping out the solenoid, and no joy at the starter, then it's going to be either the main ground wire (either at the battery terminal or engine case ground connection) or a positive battery wire. Check voltages with ignition on and pressing the starter button.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

My key ignition switch sometimes does not make a proper contact and that will cause your exact same symptoms. Try to manipulate the key for a while by moving it in and out while turning on and off.
                              1981 GS 1000GLX.
                              1981 GS 1000G.
                              1981 GS 650GLX.
                              1975 TS 185.
                              1972 100. Kawasaki.
                              1968 100. Suzuki.
                              1970 Z 50. Honda.
                              1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                              1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Working...
                              X