1980 GSX750E Racer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GSX750E Racer project

Bought this a couple of years ago, and have been riding/upgrading it along the way. Currently it's parked in my fathers garage, next to my brothers GSX750 and my fathers Dnepr.

This is how I bought it:

This is before being parked in the garage:

What has been done?
    *Valve adjustment
    *Compression test
    *Changed fuel line
    *Mounted new headlight and handlebars
    *Powder coated some chrome parts black
    *Sandblasted and painted seat pan and some other stuff

Carbs were done by previous owner just before I bought it.

What am I currently doing?
    *Changing dash to Danmoto Micro
    *Changing to stainless steel brake lines
    *Refurbing all brake calipers + new pads
    *Mounting Delkevic 4-1 exhaust
    *Looking for new rear shocks

I have one stock seat in good condition and an extra that I plan to have somebody retrim.

These are the brake calipers, do they have to be changed?

And this is the current state of the bike, with newly home-powder coated parts and Delkevic exhaust (just test-fitted):

This is a bit of a random status update of the bike as it sits now, I will try to update when I do something to it. My father lives 3 hours away, so don't expect updates every week :P

I ordered some RFY-shocks, but after seeing the fit of the clevis I sold them. Currently I'm thinking YSS-shocks. Read somewhere on the forum that I should go for 330mm-340mm?
    Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2017, 08:10 AM. Reason: Update picture URL, damn you Photobucket

Yes, change those caliper pistons and get new OEM seals. The pitting will wear away your new seals prematurely. It's from water getting into the brake fluid.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Plus one on changing your caliper pistons. Best replaced with stainless steel aftermarket versions and it's job done forever.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I have new OEM seals, I'll get new pistons Any tips of where I can find SS-pistons?

Comment

Try Nick Chambers via eBay:

He'll be cheapest by some margin or Wemoto list them.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The exhaust came out really well Great to see you have a thread on here too

Comment

Originally posted by LarsKroghStea View Post
              The exhaust came out really well Great to see you have a thread on here too
              Thanks! Couldn't let you be the only one

Comment

Very nice i have just purchased the very same delkevic 4 into 1 system for my old girl and i am looking forward to following your progress Mons.

Comment

Originally posted by dowser81 View Post
                  Very nice i have just purchased the very same delkevic 4 into 1 system for my old girl and i am looking forward to following your progress Mons.
                  I was very pleased with the look, so hope you will be happy with it too!

I'll try to make some progress soon, I have some parts to overhaul before going to the garage next time I'll post pictures soon

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                    Thanks for the tip, ordered some now

Comment

Hi. Had some RFY shocks that I planned to put on the bike, but the clevis mount did not fit at all. So I'm thinking about these YSS shocks, only difference is amount of adjustability, right? Any other good YSS dealers in Europe?

Brook Suspension provides the UK's leading independent motorcycle suspension service. Supplying motorcycle shock absorbers, steering dampers, fork springs, fork oil & fork stanchions as well as a fantastic range of services including shock absorber repairs, fork refurbishment and fork rechroming.

Brook Suspension provides the UK's leading independent motorcycle suspension service. Supplying motorcycle shock absorbers, steering dampers, fork springs, fork oil & fork stanchions as well as a fantastic range of services including shock absorber repairs, fork refurbishment and fork rechroming.

Comment

Originally posted by Mons View Post
                        Bought this a couple of years ago, and have been riding/upgrading it along the way. Currently it's parked in my fathers garage, next to my brothers GSX750 and my fathers Dnepr.

This is how I bought it:

This is before being parked in the garage:

What has been done?
                        *Valve adjustment
                        *Compression test
                        *Changed fuel line
                        *Mounted new headlight and handlebars
                        *Powder coated some chrome parts black
                        *Sandblasted and painted seat pan and some other stuff

Carbs were done by previous owner just before I bought it.

What am I currently doing?
                        *Changing dash to Danmoto Micro
                        *Changing to stainless steel brake lines
                        *Refurbing all brake calipers + new pads
                        *Mounting Delkevic 4-1 exhaust
                        *Looking for new rear shocks

I have one stock seat in good condition and an extra that I plan to have somebody retrim.

These are the brake calipers, do they have to be changed?

And this is the current state of the bike, with newly home-powder coated parts and Delkevic exhaust (just test-fitted):

This is a bit of a random status update of the bike as it sits now, I will try to update when I do something to it. My father lives 3 hours away, so don't expect updates every week :P

I ordered some RFY-shocks, but after seeing the fit of the clevis I sold them. Currently I'm thinking YSS-shocks. Read somewhere on the forum that I should go for 330mm-340mm?
                        I love that style delkevic, when you have it running again i would love a video!!
                        I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                          I love that style delkevic, when you have it running again i would love a video!!
                          I'll make that happen!

Comment

I will follow this! Im very curious of which shocks you go with. I have been looking around also. First thought of the TEC's with adjustable ride height but heard the quality isnt really good. Thats a pretty exhaust pipe too!

Comment

Thanks for reminding me to update!

I bought YSS suspension:

Expensive, but hopefully worth every penny

Alot of things happening at the moment, so very little time to work on the bike this spring

Comment

Working...
                              X