No announcement yet.

can some kind person explain to me relationships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it deosnt stop flowing fully at least monitor it for any noticable slowing of fuel flow.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Have to ask but Hopefully your oil supply is ok! Does the red light come on when key on and then go off when bike runs? That's pretty basic but your symptoms make that important.

If a single coil is dropping out at 200+ degrees, the engine would sound a lot different, running on just two cylinders per dead coil or three cylinders per bad lead and plug (check the plugs was mentioned maybe clean up the internal suppressors in the cap too)

Having to use the choke/enricher to limp home suggests mixture is too lean without it, but dumping more gas into a partially running engine also gives a little more power because the engine is "lugging" ....you might want to check the timing too. These have mechanical advance?

Troubleshoot this when it's running bad - when it's hot. Take your tank off and run it from an auxiliary tank so you can get at stuff better..coils, carbs wiring. be sure to plug the petcock vacuum tube if using an auxiliary tank OR use the bike's tank with longer fuel lines and petcock vacuum hose...Either way, keep these tanks about the same height as it is on the bike .

valves set really too tight aren't going to close! a bit of tappet noise ensures that they will. A compression check will show if this is the case and other stuff too.
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-23-2017, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Alright .. I did the test where I filled the tank with about 4.5 gallons and secured the new cap and then turned the petcock to pri and it drained the entire thing in little under 8 minutes with no interruption of flow as far as I could tell. I bought clear hose for the test so I could see if I started to see air bubbles like it was choking off but it was smooth and steady.

The oil light goes off the second I start the bike and before I started it for the first time I did an oil and filter change so I dont think its oil pressure or temp.

The coils look beat to hell and the spot where the wire actually goes into the coils looks like it was secure with a glue gun. The spark plug caps and wires look new though. So ... if my research was right .. and it has been spotty .. Dynatek 3 ohm coils?

Kind of exciting in that I think I have eliminated gas delivery or oil delivery so all that can be left .. I think .. is electric. Down side is .. the electric looks like a mess with wires going everywhere and many just cut with no explanation. There are also some 5 wires attached directly to the battery and I know that aint right!

Comment

look new though
          I've got a ton of new looking stuff that doesn't work.
          spark plug caps
          these actually come apart on stock ones. A small slot-head screw driver undoes the brass plug-tip connector. Behind it, there's a suppressor-resistor, tiny springs, tiny contact discs, so do it over a white cloth if you are interested. The idea of this contraption is to allow 5k ohms along the lead while using straight wire in the plug leads.

and the spot where the wire actually goes into the coils looks like it was secure with a glue gun
          oh oh..These were originally made "factory permanent" with very strong glue. If so, ( if somebody's been at 'em) that's a thing to look at with jaundiced eye. Plus I'd put new or decent-used coils on your list. HOWEVER it's unlikely to be the problem specific to a warmed up bike except for the harm it may have done to the coil. any unconnection there will be a spark and fail entirely pretty quick IMO

I would have said to you or the Previous Owner- Do NOT futz with the connection between coil and the lead unless you are an aspiring surgeon with a nice dremel kit and some spare coils to use if you wreck it. Not impossible to repair if you must get back from Mars but time for replacement.

Comment

I ordered new coils with wires and caps and will report back. If I have one coil dropping out when it gets hot then that can certainly be what is going on. The outside of them is blistered as if from the heat. Looks like lizard hide. I got the bike for $1300 and have put in time but in actual funds I have only added maybe another $300 with much of that being consumable like the bucket o carb cleaner and the tow home from the seller. The coil set up is another $130.00. If I can get a fun, mostly reliable standard style motorcycle that I loved in my youth for around 2 grand done .. I will be more than satisfied. When we set about getting an older bike we set an imaginary figure of 2500.00. In about 3 weeks it will be five million degrees here and not fun to ride unless its 5 am so I have plenty of time to get her going.

When it runs it is still everything I loved about motorcycling. It has the same uprightish position of my Triumph but is far smoother at speed.

Comment

yes, if someone was futzing with them,(or the bits in the cap even) perhaps they caused a burnout.
              ...I usually hope to limit $ input to a third of original price but expect it to be half, and even if the "Truth-I-Can't-Handle" works out to be 100%, it's still a deal.

Comment

This has been an invaluable thread. Thank you all!
                Unfortunately I have developed new symptoms/clues. I ordered and received new coils. I then got the nastiest flu and was on my back for some 6 days and hadnt touched the bike in about 10-14 days when you add waiting for the parts and such. All that time I was concerned about new varnish in the carbs since I had removed the tank and I think had run the float bowls dry and it has already broken 100 degrees here.

So before I got sick the bike ran and idled fine and when I blipped the throttle it would jump and immediately return to idle until it hit about 208 on the temp gauge and then it would stall and be done. I was able to limp it home on enricher/choke. I assumed I was losing one of the coils and by enriching it I was limping home on 2 cylinders. I have no proof of this just speculation. I just replaced 2 ignition coils in my cars with the same symptoms and it was the fix.

Also before the coils change when I started on choke it would run up to 5000 rpm immediately and decrease as I released.

Today I finished the install of the coils. Dynatek 3ohm. New wires, new caps and new plugs.

Started on Enricher/choke and it only jumped up to 2500 rpm. When I blipped the throttle it jumped up to 5000. Took off with the choke partly engaged and went about 1/2 mile and pulled the clutch in and dead. I can start it on choke but it wont idle more than a few seconds before it stalls. but now .. when I blip the throttle it hangs. It wasnt hanging 2 weeks ago. I give it a little twist and it shoots to 3000rpm and stays there a bit and then slowly decelerates.
                I have gone through a bottle of starter fluid looking and listening for leaks.
                Its seems the more I fix the bike the worse it gets!!

Here is where I am
                New oiled air filter
                New coils, plugs (gaped.025) and caps
                Cleaned rebuilt carbs
                cleaned and lined tank
                new fuel line and vacuum line
                new petcock
                new gas cap
                oil and filter new

Am I destined to spend this weekend pulling out the carbs and recleaning or is there anything else left to look at?

Comment

My 83 gsx750es startes fine (a little rough) would run fine, after a few minutes it was starting to drop cylinders.
                  I had to change the ignition box (ignitor). If you have a service manual there will bee å check procediere. This is how
                  I found out on my bike.

Comment

Working...
                  X