Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making L versions into non-L, what's to be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making L versions into non-L, what's to be done?

I've recently come across an 750L that could potentially serve as a great base for a future project.

(The 750L appears to be Europe-only?)

But what does make an L? So far from pictures methinks:

- Stepped seat
    - Headlight including bracket
    - Handlebars
    - Rear tire
    - Rear Fenders
    - Rear suspension, or longer forks? (Unclear)
    - Frame? (Very unclear on this)

Reason I'm asking is because if I were to get it, I would make it into something decidedly non-L, more in the vicinity of a café racer. Definitively something that handles more like my 550E, but I'm not sure if it's at all possible. For example, if the rake angle is higher than on the other models (to achieve that "choppery" handling).

Edit: Or the frame geometry is completely different
    Last edited by roeme; 04-20-2017, 07:11 AM. Reason: frame geo
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

I'd love a 750L in its natural state.
    I think the L front wheel sticks out a little more, too.
    I'm not the guy to ask about de-L-ing, but someone will come along.
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

I believe that the frames are lower at the seat area. This is why on L cafe conversions one can sometimes see the top frame rails angling down toward the front if the builder went with a flat / level seat. I think recall Steve saying the the front uses different triple trees to make up for the leading axle fork.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

On the GS450's, the tank mounts are slightly different.
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Forcing an L to be anything but an L is a vile form of repression and mutilation.
          Ls of the world unite!
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            Forcing an L to be anything but an L is a vile form of repression and mutilation.
            Ls of the world unite!
            Consider me united!
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Uh-oh, sounds like I have started a minor revolt...

I believe that the frames are lower at the seat area. This is why on L cafe conversions one can sometimes see the top frame rails angling down toward the front if the builder went with a flat / level seat.(...)
              hrm damn I was hoping that it's done the same way as my brother's Yamaha SR250, where the stepped seat simply "hangs" over the otherwise normal frame.

Anybody has pictures of an L-frame from the side?
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post

hrm damn I was hoping that it's done the same way as my brother's Yamaha SR250, where the stepped seat simply "hangs" over the otherwise normal frame.

Sure I put one up a while back............
                Here it is
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                  Ls of the world unite!
                  Another "L" in the fold.
                  But I DID have a custom seat made for me -- just because the old one was torturous -
                  So - some de-"L"-ing has occurred on my bike.
                  But I use mine primarily as a commuter so shorter rides (typically 50 miles)
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

20160605_183520.jpg This is as close to the frame as I've got.

As you can see the "L" looks badass even without the body work and seat.
                    Alan

sigpic
                    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

On my GS450L the `T' seat is a direct bolt on which flattens it out a little.
                      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                      1977 GS550
                      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

This one started out life as an L.
                        Last edited by CrazyCloud; 04-20-2017, 03:35 PM.
                        Regards,
                        Jason

Comment

I will insert my comments in blue.
                          I've recently come across an 750L that could potentially serve as a great base for a future project.

(The 750L appears to be Europe-only?)

But what does make an L? So far from pictures methinks:

- Stepped seat - yes
                          - Headlight including bracket - yes, smaller and chrome
                          - Handlebars - yes, higher, generally more uncomfortable angle
                          - Rear tire - most of them had 16" rear, but there were a few exceptions
                          - Rear Fenders - yes, chrome steel fenders, but so did the "T" models
                          - Rear suspension, or longer forks? (Unclear) - rear suspension is the same. Forks were a touch longer, but only because they were moved behind the axle. Steering angle, rake and trail were virtually unchanged.
                          - Frame? (Very unclear on this) - yes, the frame is different

Reason I'm asking is because if I were to get it, I would make it into something decidedly non-L, more in the vicinity of a café racer. Definitively something that handles more like my 550E, but I'm not sure if it's at all possible. For example, if the rake angle is higher than on the other models (to achieve that "choppery" handling).
                          The fuel tanks were smaller and teardrop-shaped. Some had different gauge sets. The rear fender was chrome to give it a finished look, as there was no tail section over it, like on the E and G models. The front fenders were also chrome.

Performance-wise, the bikes were virtually unchanged. Same engine, same transmission, although there were a couple of ratio changes to compensate for the smaller rear wheel. The forks were pulled back with different triple trees, then the axle was placed ahead of the forks. This let the forks extend below the axle, giving it that "long fork" look that was popular with choppers, but the wheel was in the same place.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

To add on to Steve's detailed overview, the seating position on the L models is a little different (mainly, the seat is lower -- the pegs are in pretty much the same place) but the handling is pretty much identical as long as the bike is wearing reasonable handlebars and the suspension has been sorted out. I've ridden G and L models back-to-back several times, and there's little to no mental adjustment needed. Well, you do need to remember to stop for gas a little more often.

The factory handlebars on "regular" GS models are awful, but the factory bars on "L" models are ridiculous. I'm sort of making the assumption that the bars have been changed to something reasonable, at least on any GS that someone plans to actually, y'know, ride somewhere.
                            Last edited by bwringer; 04-21-2017, 09:14 AM.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

1) Where's all the L-hate? I'm used to seeing L-hate on posts like this and instead there's not only calm L-critique but actual L-love! I'm amazed!
                              2) I like the riding position and the original handlebars. I tried other bars and found them uncomfortable. Go figure.
                              3) Wow, Steve. You know your stuff!
                              4) I do lament the small tank, and I did like the little tail box on the 700E I used to ride, but I still say Color me L.
                              "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Working...
                              X