Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making L versions into non-L, what's to be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "L" -- Love
    Custom seat (Diamond Seats) - windscreen -small saddlebags (Matuzu)- removable trunk (Shad) -GPS- LED Driving lights on case guards

Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

The usual changes to my "L". Seat and bars.
      1982 GS 550 L

Comment

Originally posted by rkroby View Post
        The usual changes to my "L". Seat and bars.
        That bike actually looks very nice. Puts me in mind of a "T" which I also admire.
        Alan

sigpic
        Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
        Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
        Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
          I've recently come across an 750L that could potentially serve as a great base for a future project.

(The 750L appears to be Europe-only?)

But what does make an L? So far from pictures methinks:

- Stepped seat
          - Headlight including bracket
          - Handlebars
          - Rear tire
          - Rear Fenders
          - Rear suspension, or longer forks? (Unclear)
          - Frame? (Very unclear on this)

Reason I'm asking is because if I were to get it, I would make it into something decidedly non-L, more in the vicinity of a café racer. Definitively something that handles more like my 550E, but I'm not sure if it's at all possible. For example, if the rake angle is higher than on the other models (to achieve that "choppery" handling).

Edit: Or the frame geometry is completely different
          This may be functional in case you would change your mind about a bobber.5ebebcf8a9a0706ef29afac69757f0e6.jpg
          Alan

sigpic
          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

A friend of mine took a 1100L model, with a 7inch slick, a short wheelie bar mild head,porting done by himself. A Maxi-X pipe then finally a V&H megaphone. And he seemed to think that it left harder then his 1100 E model did and there fore had better short times and finally after a few minor chassis changes ran a 9.98 with a stock motor and some 33 smoothbore carbs. Back in 1981 if memory serves me right. He loved that L model and drove it daily. He said it just handled better for him at 135 lbs. and 5'3"
            sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

The pipes on an 'L' are shorter and more flared.

Like the pic above, I think you can do a lot with custom seat work and new handlebars. I also think the pinstripe on the L tank exemplifies the teardrop shape. If you get rid of that stripe, or break it like the pic above, it will help.

Depending on how much of a project you want, you could modify and/or paint the fenders, change the tail light, and maybe swap a few things up front.

Comment

To tie up some loose ends; thanks a lot everyone for chiming in. I enjoyed getting the L-lovers out of the bushes

With all the info provided, I decided to pass up on this bike and much rather concentrate to first finish the 550 I'm currently restoring. I'd have nowhere near enough free resources to achieve something like rkroby's bike, and I wouldn't settle for less (Even though I don't particularly like L's, I wouldn't butcher one).
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                  To tie up some loose ends; thanks a lot everyone for chiming in. I enjoyed getting the L-lovers out of the bushes

With all the info provided, I decided to pass up on this bike and much rather concentrate to first finish the 550 I'm currently restoring. I'd have nowhere near enough free resources to achieve something like rkroby's bike, and I wouldn't settle for less (Even though I don't particularly like L's, I wouldn't butcher one).
                  Next to the L's I think the T's look very good.
                  It puts me in mind of a non-L'd L. It must be all the chrome.
                  Alan

sigpic
                  Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                    This may be functional in case you would change your mind about a bobber.[ATTACH=CONFIG]50648[/ATTACH]
                    I love that bike and had the thread earmarked before my laptop was worked on. Do you have the link available for that build?
                    GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                      I love that bike and had the thread earmarked before my laptop was worked on. Do you have the link available for that build?
                      Rick, I actually found that on an image search for gs1100l bobber and downloaded the pic.
                      Researched it again and found the link...
                      Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
                      Alan

sigpic
                      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Thanks Alan, it's bookmarked again. I looked, but I suck at searches. This is one of the most beautiful L conversions I've seen yet. I've been trying to find a cheap 1100L since I first saw this bike. I'd change it a little as not to completely replicate it, but not by much. I picked up one while in Tennessee five years ago, but it didn't have a title and there was no way to title it(that I knew of) back then. Plus the engine had been swapped for an 850, which they didn't say in the ad. Now I'm looking at an '04 1100 VStar here at work for $800, so that may satisfy my urge for a cruiser style of bike for the stable. Then again I look at this one and the gears are a turning.

I think even Tom had nice words for this L. That's something rare.
                        GSRick
                        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

He did a good job on it. As I was searching the photo again I found he had it up for sale on Pinterest for around $1600. Dont know how long ago though.
                          Alan

sigpic
                          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

100_2662.jpg This is a 1980 850L. Has a 1100L fuel tank which is about 1 1/2" longer and about a gallon larger. The seat is a Sporster seat which fit like a glove after removing the seat mounts. Dropped the seat height about 2". I like my L's I have a bunch of em.

V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

100_2881.jpg100_2662.jpg This is a 1980 850L. Has a 1100L fuel tank which is about 1 1/2" longer and about a gallon larger. The seat is a Sporster seat, and some other Harley seat, which fit like a glove after removing the seat mounts. Dropped the seat height about 2". I like my L's I have a bunch of em.

V
                              Gustov
                              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                              80 GS 550 L
                              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

While I have the forks off, I fitted some e model headlight brackets and painted the headlight shell. I painted the lower triple tree cover too, but am still unsure if I like it - I'll see what it looks like with the chrome fender on - luckily the one I painted was a spare rusty cover, so I can put the chrome one back on.
                                Other mods were new handlebars and mirrors, turn signals from an e model I believe, a V&H 4-1 super sport exhaust system, new tail light, and 13" black Hagon shocks.
                                This has all been done over the course of years with no real vision to speak of - I would like to replace the seat one day... I know someone who has a seat and tail section from an '80 E model, but haven't committed yet.
                                IMG_0246.jpg
                                -1980 GS1100 LT
                                -1975 Honda cb750K
                                -1972 Honda cl175
                                - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Working...
                                X