Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The perfect bar hopper

JJ is offline Forum LongTimer Past Bard Award Winner
    Charter Member
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Burque73 View Post
    +1 on that! One beer and I won't even sit on the bike (temptation). Also I've found it very difficult to drive and ride at the same time but I am willing to learn!??

But seriously, I'd love to have a little zip around town bike like a 250 or 400 something or other.
    I love my XJ650 for short trips, and if I wander into town.
    Johnny

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

'82 GS1100GK - Max
    '83 GS850G - Minnie
    '83 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim

Quote Originally Posted by Burque73 View Post
    But seriously, I'd love to have a little zip around town bike like a 250 or 400 something or other.
    Some people might poo-poo the idea, or find them too small, but I have an absolute blast tossing our Rebel 250 around in city traffic.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/DrockVan/gs650g/sig-us

I didnt mean to stur up the pot with the drinking and driving thing guys, the term bar hopper is just a name my buddys and i always called the smaller bikes like that you know..
    -My life's on time but again my sense is late.
    Feel a might unsteady but I still have to play.-

bikes,
    1980 gs1000g (restomod/cafeish project)
    1975 tc185 (future home of a t500 twin)
    1997 katana 600 (parts bike)
    1993 yamaha fzr1000 ex-up Genesis (next big resto)
    1983 KTM mxc 250
    1979 gs850g (past bike)

Quote Originally Posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
    I didnt mean to stur up the pot with the drinking and driving thing guys, the term bar hopper is just a name my buddys and i always called the smaller bikes like that you know..
    Its all good Brandon. I figured you were just describing something like a cafe bike, hopping from one to the next not necessarily with a belly full of beer. Still a good topic to throw out there once in a while.

I rode my Rebel 250 all over Albuquerque and did have a blast on it. That was a few kids and grandkids ago though...
    Roger

Current ride 83 GS850G

The best bar hopper I had was a DR400. Light, nimble, pokey and always ready to go.

Some bars were pretty far away...

09 dr400.jpg

I always figured a bar hopper was a cool looking, but very uncomfortable bike to ride. Like a bobber of chopper not designed for long rides, hense the bar hopper. Designed more for posing while you're at the next stop than going for a soul cleaning ride.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

*For those that want it, PM me for Mark Harrops email.*

Me thinks we're discussing potentially different bikes. While I feel no need to impress, I think a typical bar hopper / bike night bike would be a little over the top, and generally not good for long rides.

An in town bomber sounds like more of what's in question here. A small easy bike with perhaps a means to carry small items back from the spirits store, etc. This is exactly my intent for the rusty old scooter if it ever gets a title and registered.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.

Maybe something like this? Nimble, compact, looks fun!

1965 Ducati 250 Scrambler. Black and Silver Very original, great condition for its age

https://santafe.craigslist.org/mcy/6098258087.html

I've noticed something interesting take place with threads like this. Maybe it started for me in a thread titled why do we need more than one. Well, as one member put it each bike in the stable scratches a particular itch. There's only one problem, what if you keep developing a chronic itch? Like laying in bed trying to sleep and your leg itches, no big deal just scratch it. Then your nose, ok last one, scratch then sleep. Nope another pops up, ok ignore it and sleep, trying....trying.... ok just scratch but then another. It doesn't end unless you can just convince yourself to be content and relax. This is the motorcycle conundrum, there's no end as far as I can see. If you've got the time, space, and finances to play the itch and scratch game then by all means have at it. If not, as in my case, then relax and dream!
    Roger

Current ride 83 GS850G

parhopper.jpg

This is my bar hopper...much safer after a couple cold ones...
    1981 GS 850G

Quote Originally Posted by dorkburger View Post
    Me thinks we're discussing potentially different bikes. While I feel no need to impress, I think a typical bar hopper / bike night bike would be a little over the top, and generally not good for long rides.

An in town bomber sounds like more of what's in question here. A small easy bike with perhaps a means to carry small items back from the spirits store, etc. This is exactly my intent for the rusty old scooter if it ever gets a title and registered.
    As long as the vin is clean i might be able to help with that
    -My life's on time but again my sense is late.
    Feel a might unsteady but I still have to play.-

bikes,
    1980 gs1000g (restomod/cafeish project)
    1975 tc185 (future home of a t500 twin)
    1997 katana 600 (parts bike)
    1993 yamaha fzr1000 ex-up Genesis (next big resto)
    1983 KTM mxc 250
    1979 gs850g (past bike)