Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 GS550 E - Revs up and down on "idle" on it's own!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS550 E - Revs up and down on "idle" on it's own!

Hi all.

General info:
    I'm brand new here and also brand new with this little crazy engine.
    I just bought a "project" that ran before the previous owner decided to make a scrambler (perfect, just what I want to) of it and then started to take it apart.
    All he did was to cut the rear end off, "rust" the tank and also put some nice brand new wheels on it.
    So nothing done to the engine.
    It has also been standing for about a year with him.

Problem:
    I came home with it and tried to start it with some motor starter through the air filter which worked for a second. Same again and it worked for a second.
    Then she ran, but like crazy! Reved at around 6000rpm for a while till I chickened out and killed her.
    Ok, so I thought that this is definitely a problem with the carbs.
    Took them out and did a rougher clean of them and put them back together and reinstalled them again (big hassle when there is no room!).
    Before I reinstalled them I ordered new boots as the old ones fell apart when I took the carbs out and have now installed the new ones.

So, just bought a new can of motor starter, sprayed some in to the air box again, she came to life. Just for a second or two.
    Did the same thing but now with a little small huff and puff with the motor starter just when she wanted to cut off.
    Just 3 or 4 times and now she ran on her own! Yes!!!
    BUT NO!
    She now revs up and down between 2500 - 6000 rpm's. Up and down, all on it's own.
    So, finally I had to kill it again me chickening out something bad might happen to the engine.
    Oh, the choke is completely off as well.

Questions:
    What could be causing the revving on it own?
    When turning the idle-screw in the middle of the carbs clockwise, do I give more throttle or turn the throttle down?
    Could it be my throttle that is set to tightly so that it creates this weird revving issue?
    Should I order all new pilot jets?
    Where do I order pilot jets easiest living in Sweden for fastest delivery?
    Is there one or more airscrews on the carbs to set mixture?
    Or should I just scrap all these questions and there is something completely different causing this?

I have:
    Ordered the new O-ring kit as mentioned in this forum and it's on it's way.

Could only upload one image so here she is.

side.jpg

Please check my signature and read through the Newbie Mistakes thread and carb rebuild tutorial. Both should help you sort out your bike.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'd do like Ed said and read the tutorials, but two things to mention. If you going to spray something in the carbs or air box to try and help it start, it would be better to use carb cleaner than starter fluid. Also there should always be a little play in anything that operates with a cable. Clutch and throttle so both have around 5 mm of play. Did you replaced the intake boots or the air box boots? If it was the air box boots then you may have a leak or two around the intake boots. Some carb spray around the boots will tell if there are leaks, that is if you can get it to simply idle. Also you may want to pull the carbs and do a bench sync on them to get them in the ball park.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Hi Nessim and gsrick!

I have now read and fully understood the rookiee misstakes threads. Perfect!
        As mentioned before I have now ordered the O-ring kit but now also ordered the entire carb-kit from z1 enterprises. Very good!
        And meanwhile waiting for the delivery I'll have plenty of time to take out the carbs again but I'll strip them when all the spare parts are here so I can do it all in one day while the memory of it still fresh.

I have one question regarding the valves in the rookie thread, is there a "how to" anywhere here in the forum on how to set this up on my bike?

@gsrick;
        I did actually buy new intake boots. Cause they just fell apart and where rock hard. So I'll see if I can find the airbag boots anywhere cheap for me to order too then.
        And regarding bench syncing the carbs I have seen some great you tube clips on it so I'll do this too.
        And when doing so, do you know if it is 2,5 turns out on the air mix screw or 3,5 turns out from "zero-ish" when I get there?

Cheers guys and great answers in a great forum!
        I'll keep you posted.

/Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Gryglas View Post
          Hi Nessim and gsrick!

I have now read and fully understood the rookiee misstakes threads. Perfect!
          As mentioned before I have now ordered the O-ring kit but now also ordered the entire carb-kit from z1 enterprises. Very good!
          And meanwhile waiting for the delivery I'll have plenty of time to take out the carbs again but I'll strip them when all the spare parts are here so I can do it all in one day while the memory of it still fresh.

I have one question regarding the valves in the rookie thread, is there a "how to" anywhere here in the forum on how to set this up on my bike?

@gsrick;
          I did actually buy new intake boots. Cause they just fell apart and where rock hard. So I'll see if I can find the airbag boots anywhere cheap for me to order too then.
          And regarding bench syncing the carbs I have seen some great you tube clips on it so I'll do this too.
          And when doing so, do you know if it is 2,5 turns out on the air mix screw or 3,5 turns out from "zero-ish" when I get there?

Cheers guys and great answers in a great forum!
          I'll keep you posted.

/Hawk
          The normal procedure is to count how many turns it takes for the mixture screw to bottom out lightly. DO NOT tighten it as it may cause the tip to break off. This is if the EPA plugs(which bikes in your country may not have) are still in place. I think 1.5 - 2 turns out is a safe place to start from, to do the high idle calibration Your engine will tell you what it wants for each carb. The 550 manual may have a specific count for Europe.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
            The normal procedure is to count how many turns it takes for the mixture screw to bottom out lightly. DO NOT tighten it as it may cause the tip to break off. This is if the EPA plugs(which bikes in your country may not have) are still in place. I think 1.5 - 2 turns out is a safe place to start from, to do the high idle calibration Your engine will tell you what it wants for each carb. The 550 manual may have a specific count for Europe.
            Cheers gsrick!

Comment

Working...
            X