Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850GL Pod Filter Carb Rejet

All,
    First of all this forum has been amazing as a build my Brat Tracker out of my 1981 GS850GL. Also I am a fly fishing guide near moosehead lake most of the year. Beer and fish to y'all moosehead bound folks, now help me out yo!

That being said help me out...and i know there is information out there but i want a very specific answer. I put 4 cheap pod filters on my carbs. It started and ran great in ide. Runs great, until I hit about 4th gear and i would say around 5500 RPM (I'm not sure here because my tachometer is busted and i am waiting on parts), at this point it limps along and sounds like it needs some GO juice. I am leaving the exhaust stock. I am in Oklahoma currently about 1300 feet elevation...and i am sure it has 115s in it, stock (well not sure but everything else was stock so i don't know why anyone would change).

Im pretty sure I need to rejet the carb. I am pretty sure I should go with a size #125 main jet. But i bet anything someone has done this exact same thing and can send me a link to exactly what fits. This is my first time frigging around with carbs. Im not looking forward to it. Want some good info before i go at it.
    also need to know if any Mikuni style main jet will fit...im assuming there is one specific style I need. Thanks in advance sorry for the novella.

I'm still learning about GSs but I think you have CV carbs. Folks around here say it's a bit challenging to tune the bike for pods. Also, Ebay pods aren't recommended because they can block the passages around the carb inlet.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

They don't seem to be doing that. I was pretty concerned about it. But I've looked at the boot and it looks like air is getting to those passages. I've thought about adding a homemade restricter to those pods, limiting the Air that they can take in and leaving my carbs alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsg View Post
        I've thought about adding a homemade restricter to those pods, limiting the Air that they can take in and leaving my carbs alone.
        OK, you have added pods so your engine can breathe better, now you want to restrict them? Seem rather counter-productive to me.

Why not leave the stock airbox? Never mind, I just went back to read your first post and realized that you are going for a "look" and can't have an airbox.

OK, the jetting fun will commence. 125 mains will be your starting point, don't be surprised if you need to go bigger. You will also need to shim the needles, but only experimentation will determine how much. Then, as your pods get dirty, you will have to determine whether you: 1) replace them with more cheap pods, 2) put some proper pods on, or 3) change your jetting to match your dirty filters. With proper filters, you can at least clean them and stay in the same jetting range.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I went with 125s today. Good start. I'll probably go to 130 or 127.5. Goes fine right now. And I'll buy more cheapos probably. And no that restrictor idea is idiotic. Saw someone do it on YouTube. But It makes very little sense. Right now it is mildly studdering in 5th gear around 50 mph which is a lot better than it was

Comment

Working...
          X