Crash Bars...yay or nah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash Bars...yay or nah?

Now that my bike is running should I put crash bars/ highway pegs on it? Does that make it easier to pick up if you drop it?
    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Use something.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

If you don't, and you drop the bike you will quickly find out why they are a useful accessory. The bars with 3 mounting points bars are much better as they will not easily bend in a crash, potentially trapping your feet between the pavement and a hot engine. Highway pegs... it is a matter of preference. Personally I don't like them.... too much like a Harley.

Comment

Those bars have saved both sides of my engine. Dropped it three times and only a broken blinker lens and scratched guards. They're worth having!
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I like the IDEA of crash bars, but like everyone else says, it is worth it to spend the time to source ones with three-point mounts.

The ones I have on my 550 look good, match the frame, are period correct, but are only two-point mounts. There is always a lingering thought that it is a weak point in the system, but it doesn't stop me from having them on there until I can find something with which I can replace them. Definitely worth having.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I got a 3 point mount on clutch case side, but a 2 point on stator side. I don't expect them to save me at speed ,but they do prevent needless damage if you get silly getting on or off.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by mrhedges View Post
              Now that my bike is running should I put crash bars/ highway pegs on it? Does that make it easier to pick up if you drop it?
              I dont think having them makes it any easier to pick up if dropped. Highway pegs may be nice to have, never tried them before. I have to stand up before a stop to make sure my legs still work, especially in winter. Frozen knees don't straighten out very quickly.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Ok... cool maybe I'll source some on ye ole' bay. Does any have any idea about interchangeability? or should I just find ones for a '81 gs850g ?
                1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrhedges View Post
                  Ok... cool maybe I'll source some on ye ole' bay. Does any have any idea about interchangeability? or should I just find ones for a '81 gs850g ?
                  81 or 82? Your sig says 82 maybe theyre the same but I'm not sure.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

I just checked a set from my 81 parts bike and they do not fit on an 83. If that helps any. Incidentally, if you need 81's I've got em.

Three point mount type.

Last edited by Burque73; 04-22-2017, 07:15 PM.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Be very careful when buying guards, they are one of the most specific things to buy for bikes. They have to be exact to the year and model, they are really best tried on before purchasing.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The 3-point bars on my 1000G have been through two low-sides, one with a mighty long slide. That last time, they probably saved the ignition bits and maybe the end of the crank; not just the ignition cover. Well, they're not on it anymore. They were dented and ground down too far to bend back into shape to re-use.

A few folks worry about giving up cornering clearance, but if you're leaning the bike that far on the street, you're doing at least two things wrong.

I don't care for foot pegs up there, but you may like it for eating up the miles on the highway. The pegs I've seen on them would have knocked a hole in the case covers in my wrecks, though.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I had a 650L which I dropped on the street, not running. (don't ask) Leetle piece of gravel made enough of a ding in the stator cover that it dripped a little oil forever after. (Or until I put an ugly glop of JB weld on it.) After that, I put 3-point bars on every bike. Won't do nothin in a crash..but around the yard, they're golden.
                          Robin Elwood
                          1980 GS 850T
                          My kids wish I had a sidecar. But I don't.
                          ~
                          Previous:
                          '79 GS 850 GN
                          '79 Kawasaki KZ400
                          '83 GS 650L

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            The 3-point bars on my 1000G have been through two low-sides, one with a mighty long slide. That last time, they probably saved the ignition bits and maybe the end of the crank; not just the ignition cover. Well, they're not on it anymore. They were dented and ground down too far to bend back into shape to re-use.

A few folks worry about giving up cornering clearance, but if you're leaning the bike that far on the street, you're doing at least two things wrong.

I don't care for foot pegs up there, but you may like it for eating up the miles on the highway. The pegs I've seen on them would have knocked a hole in the case covers in my wrecks, though.
                            If you do want some back on your bike, you should consider repairing those with improvements.
                            A nice creative project, not so big that it would eat up too much time.
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                              If you do want some back on your bike, you should consider repairing those with improvements.
                              A nice creative project, not so big that it would eat up too much time.
                              Are you suggesting training wheels?

I have replacement parts on hand, waiting for the last piece of starter clutch before I finish putting it back together
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X