No announcement yet.

Crash Bars...yay or nah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking about case protection, but I remembered better ways racers have done it for the GS.
    Reinforcing the the case cover by welding an aluminum plate over them, maybe bolting a plastic disc on the ends, like knee pucks.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
      I was thinking about case protection, but I remembered better ways racers have done it for the GS.
      Reinforcing the the case cover by welding an aluminum plate over them, maybe bolting a plastic disc on the ends, like knee pucks.
      Interesting. I've never taken note of how the race teams protected the GS.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I actually have an '81 I put the wrong year down. I sent you a PM
        1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Back to one of your questions about compatability: If you really DO have an '81, anything from a '79-'81 850 G or GL should fit. The frames on the '80/'81 1000 G and GL are the same as their 850 counterparts, but that one leg that goes to the engine mount bolt might be different, so I can not guarantee that a 1000 set will work on an 850.

The '82 and '83 850s had a different frame, but I think most of the differences were at the tank mount, seat mount and seat latch areas. I know the engine cases were a little bit different at the back (they lost the hump that used to house the kick starter), I don't know if the front mounts were any different.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Almost all of my riding is on trips of from a few hundred to a few thousand miles. I would never leave home on a bike without case savers. Have a simple little lowside and they are the difference between picking up your bike and finishing your trip or instead having to arrange transportation hundreds or thousands of miles back to home for you and for your motorcycle. And then there are the repair costs and maybe great weeping and gnashing of teeth if it got through to your crank end.

Three point is better but two point works if that is all you can find. I've been down at reasonable speed (50-60 mph) on the 1100E and the two point held up, took all the scraping and bent ever so slightly. It is still on the bike. That by the way happened in Kentucky on my way to a GSR ride. Because of that little round bar of metal was able to attend the ride and have a good time before returning to Florida. It would have been a whole different story if I were sitting on a Kentucky back road at dusk with a non running bike.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Looks like the bike in question is in fact an 81 so the crash bars in my post will be shipped to Mrhedges tomorrow.
              Last edited by Burque73; 04-24-2017, 12:17 AM.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Back to one of your questions about compatability: If you really DO have an '81, anything from a '79-'81 850 G or GL should fit. The frames on the '80/'81 1000 G and GL are the same as their 850 counterparts, but that one leg that goes to the engine mount bolt might be different, so I can not guarantee that a 1000 set will work on an 850.

The '82 and '83 850s had a different frame, but I think most of the differences were at the tank mount, seat mount and seat latch areas. I know the engine cases were a little bit different at the back (they lost the hump that used to house the kick starter), I don't know if the front mounts were any different.

This is really useful info thanks for sharing. I just paypaled Burque73 for a set off a '81 and I guess I need to change my signature.
                1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrhedges View Post
                  Now that my bike is running should I put crash bars/ highway pegs on it? Does that make it easier to pick up if you drop it?
                  If you are talking about one of those big loop ones, NO. I had one on my bike and hated it. When I had an accident, dang thing just folded back and the hiway peg hit my left case and put a hole in it. I use case guard types now. Triple mount, the double mount is useless.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    If you are talking about one of those big loop ones, NO. I had one on my bike and hated it. When I had an accident, dang thing just folded back and the hiway peg hit my left case and put a hole in it. I use case guard types now. Triple mount, the double mount is useless.
                    The ones Burque73 is shipping me are 3 point. I did see the big hoop ones for sale on ebay. Glad I didn't get'em now based on everyone's suggestions.
                    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Hey guys, I've been emailing messages back and forth with the Mrhedges who started this thread, and am at a loss here. The case guards that I sent him didn't fit. They came from my 81 GS 850 G which has a born on date of December, 1980 according to the tag on the frame. I don't have the exact date of his but the vin numbers short of the last seven digits are below. His description of the way they are fitting is very similar to how they looked to fit my 83 850. If I'm reading his description correctly, on the right side (as if sitting on the bike) the center mount is about one inch short. The left side center mount doesn't come close to lining up. Our VIN numbers have a difference of one character and I wondered if that indicates a problem.

The first ten characters are

Mrhedges's- JS1GS71GXB

Burque's- JS1GS71G1B

Is one of these bikes a hybrid frankenbike throwing a wrench in the gears here? At only $35 including shipping, the cost to ship these case savers was almost twice my asking price of the part so returning doesn't make much sense. I suppose Mrhedges could turn and sell them for more to recoup any loss here but what a pain in the neck!

Any words of wisdom from the GS Guru's would really be appreciated.

Thank you
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I think tomorrow I will post more pictures. These Frame bolts don't look original so I wonder if the frame has been modified?
                        1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X