Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 out of 4 shock nuts match - how much trouble am I in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 out of 4 shock nuts match - how much trouble am I in?

Just got back from the garage where I was turning the shocks around so the oem damper adjustments were facing out...and hit a problem!
    Seems the PO had an issue with the alt side top shock nut and it's been retapped a sized smaller. I first noticed it when the 17mm wrench was too big to remove it and had to grab a 14mm wrench to do the job. Seems like it's a now a 5/16" standard nut...will confirm tomorrow at local hardware store. Shaft OD where the shock sits is unaltered...just the threaded portion for the nut.
    So...aside from multiple four letter words being strung together - what are my options?
    -Leave it and hope it doesn't become a problem {more of a problem!}
    -Try to remove and weld on a new stud mount {ugh}
    -Go frame shopping

Anyone else face this problem?

There is no stress on that nut, it only holds the shock in place. Since the shoulder where the shock sits is unaffected, just make sure you have a large enough fender washer between the shock bushing and the nut, snug it down and go ride.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      There is no stress on that nut, it only holds the shock in place. Since the shoulder where the shock sits is unaffected, just make sure you have a large enough fender washer between the shock bushing and the nut, snug it down and go ride.

I guess I never really noticed it when I bought the bike...she was missing the side grab handle and there was a open goldish nylock nut there...next time I'll pay better attention!

Comment

You don't even have a problem. It's nothing unless you're going for a 100 point restoration.

Comment

Thanks guys...I appreciate the valued input!

Comment

Working...
          X