Non-LED Headlight Bulbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-LED Headlight Bulbs?

The bike is an 82 1100E with the 8" train light. I'm not sure I want to switch out to a 7" headlight to get the Truck-Lite LED performance. So, in the interest of improving headlight performance (which isn't actually that bad, it is easily equal to any modern bike I have ridden), what are the best choices for standard incandescent H4 bulbs? Is the Silver Star still the king or have others caught up or surpassed it?

Thanks,
    Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Sylvania Ultra (which might also be "Silver Star") has been my favorite, but whatever you get, make sure it is a CLEAR bulb, without ANY blue tinting on it.

Don't fall for claims that a bulb is "closer to daylight" or other such garbage. Daylight is not perfect.

Consider this: you remember all the ads for "Blu-Blocker sunglasses"? And all the yellow-tinted lenses that "cut glare"? You know what CAUSES the glare? Blue light. Actually, it's ultraviolet light, but blue creates enough havoc inside the eyeball, too. Filtering out all the reds and yellows that are natural colors that occur in the stuff on the roadway will limit your ability to see them.

Just get the Sylvania Ultra in the standard 55/60W bulb, you will do just fine.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Recently replaced the headlights in my car as the plastic was dull and not restorable. In the new units I used PIAA extreme white bulbs and I'm very pleased. A little more than regular bulbs but on a bike you only need one. Plan on getting one for my gs
      sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
      1994 gsxr1100w
      1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Sylvania Ultra (which might also be "Silver Star") has been my favorite, but whatever you get, make sure it is a CLEAR bulb, without ANY blue tinting on it.

Don't fall for claims that a bulb is "closer to daylight" or other such garbage. Daylight is not perfect.

Consider this: you remember all the ads for "Blu-Blocker sunglasses"? And all the yellow-tinted lenses that "cut glare"? You know what CAUSES the glare? Blue light. Actually, it's ultraviolet light, but blue creates enough havoc inside the eyeball, too. Filtering out all the reds and yellows that are natural colors that occur in the stuff on the roadway will limit your ability to see them.

Just get the Sylvania Ultra in the standard 55/60W bulb, you will do just fine.

I use the Sylvania Ultra on my bikes, F-150, and Jeep, and and happy with them. They are worth every penny.

Comment

Working...
        X