Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas leaking out of one of the carb vent tubes. Doesn't look like any float issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
    like Hillsy said .... the o-ring is important too.

here's another pic, the copper part is the seat.
    Yours may look a little different but you get the idea.
    Since GSR only allows 1 pic per post i will have to post more than 1 answer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50676[/ATTACH]
    Thanks for all the images, they are super helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
      Since GSR only allows 1 pic per post i will have to post more than 1 answer
      You can have up to 10 images/post by using links to an image-hosting program like IMGUR, Photobucket, etc...
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Hi BigD,

thanks !

The disadvantage of external hosting of piccies is that whenever someone
        deletes their account, moves some pictures in subdirectories, or a site
        like Imgur decides to change policies or even stops ... all mean that pictures
        disappear from posts.

edit : removed unnecessary info

Have you noticed the number of unavailable pictures on GSR and other forums ?
        I think that way a load of valuable posts are depreciated, which is why i try to
        store pics on sites themselves.

thanks for your advice though, i appreciate it !

Rijk
        Last edited by Rijko; 04-26-2017, 12:18 AM.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I get it, but it is what we have here, and many new (er) users aren't aware of how to post in that manner.

Note that we have zero advertising, so the site isn't monetizing itself.

Maybe it's a question that can be thrown to Frank, the site administrator, to see if the funding is there.

...and steering us back to topic. My apologies to the OP for bumping us off course.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

i toned down my post BigD .. sounded too much like ranting or meddling
            which is absolutely not what i meant to do.
            My apologies also, i should have PMed you.
            Back to topic, you're right. Sorry OP.
            Last edited by Rijko; 04-26-2017, 12:06 AM.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Hey, so this started happening again :/

In addition, the petcock seems to leak when set on prime. Maybe it was a petcock issue all this time.

I' thinking about replacing the petcock. Is OEM the way to go?

edit: Yikes, a petcock looks to be $100. Gonna have to wait until next month to get that :P

Gonna check the floats again, but like last time I doubt there will be anything that looks wrong.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Did you ever find a resolution for this??

I got my bike back up and running yesterday, after repairing some damage after dumping it on it's left side leaving a stop-sign about a month ago, and doing a valve adjustment.

I decided to re-jet it down a size leaner as well (it's been a tick rich for the last 12,000 miles or so) as well.

When I got it started yesterday, I found that fuel was POURING out of the T-Vent between #3 and #4. Petcock is fine, and the floats for at least the #4 carb, which were all brand new with the rebuild of the Carbs about 5-years ago, still floats fine.

Looking at the Needle, which were also replaced during the rebuild, there does appear to be a slight "grooving" where it rests in the seat.

I've ordered a new set (4) of genuine Mikuni Needle/Seat assemblies after reading through all these threads. They are spendy ($31.95 each), but I felt that the K&S units, which I believe are what are in there now, maybe aren't the quality that the originals are, so I popped the $$$ for the real thing.

I feel this is the most likely cause at this point. Another clue was that the float bowl on #4 seemed over-full when I removed it, and compared it to the #3 bowl when I removed that one.

Comment

Found the problem with mine, I believe.

20180502_170926.jpg

Aside from the float levels being too high now, which I'm going to attribute to time and needle/seat wear, it appears that the bowl gasket on #3 was interfering with the float, keeping it from closing the needle.

Replacing gaskets and needle/seat assemblies and will reset everything.

In the meantime, I'll research here to see about the appropriate float levels for the Stage 3 Dynojet kit to see if it varies from the factory 22.4mm +/- 1.0mm.

Comment

Working...
                  X